Architecture Resume: Examples, Template and Resume Tips
One of the jobs with very good pay is the job of an architect. It carries great responsibility because if the building isn’t built the right way, people’s lives may be endangered.
Therefore, it is imperative to have a great building design, and for that, you need a great architect. In case you are an architect, you need people to be able to find you.
That is only possible if you have a distinctive resume in front of you.
A lot of people have similar resumes, with mostly the same stuff wrote inside.
So, in order to raise yourself above the crowd and be called to an interview, you need to make your resume look good and interest the recruiters enough for them to call you.
However, making a perfect resume is not always easy.
There are different variables to consider and a lot of information to share, while also trying to keep the resume as short as possible.
Let’s see what are the most important questions every good resume should answer:
- How to make your resume different than many other resumes?
- What are the crucial parts of each resume?
- How to pick a resume template?
- How big resume should I have?
It is really important to have these questions in mind when you decide to write your resume because it could really help you to get that job you really want, by increasing your chances of getting it.
A good-looking and professional resume is not easy to write.
Therefore, we decided to help you out a bit by sharing what we know and teaching you how to write a perfect resume.
First, we will show you some examples of perfect architecture resumes.
After that, we’ll go over each resume section in detail and teach you how to write them, what kind of information is important and what are smaller things you should keep in mind while writing a resume.
Of course, you need to know what absolutely to avoid while writing a CV.
Apart from that, we would like to offer you a chance to use our resume templates, which you can use to quickly write your resume, simply by filling in the template with your own information.
Without any further due, let’s start!
Senior Architect Resume Example
Architect Resume Example
GUIDE ON WRITING THE PERSONAL INFO SECTION
You can look at a resume as it was your business card. It is literally the first thing recruiters will see about you.
Therefore, it is very important to make it look good, share as much important information as possible, while also keep the resume short enough.
A good way to start is to write something about yourself.
However, try not to write too much stuff which is not so important and focus more on things that are relevant for describing your personality and which fit the job position you are applying for.
If you feel like it’s confusing, make sure to use our resume template builder and just fill in the necessary information, without having to worry too much about making a mistake.
When you meet someone for the first time, the usual ice breaker is telling your name and shaking hands.
However, since you cannot shake hands over the internet, it is the usual thing to introduce yourself by writing your name in your resume.
Since this is a business letter, it is only appropriate to state your full name, without using any nicknames.
That looks more professional, which company recruiters like to see in someone.
Now, when they know your name, they want to know what is your field of expertise.
You can tell them that by stating your current or previous job title, or the job position you are applying for.
Also, if you don’t have a title, meaning that you are recent graduate, feel free to put your highest education level, for instance, Bachelor of something, Master of something, etc.
The usual practice in most when writing resume in most countries is to put a photo of yourself.
Sometimes, it is even mandatory, depending on the job itself.
For instance, in modeling jobs, you are usually required to send the photo as well.
However, make sure not to use random photos, like the ones from Facebook or Instagram.
Make sure to make a professional-looking photo, in which you would shine with confidence and eagerness, while also seeming calm.
So, get a shirt, make the nice haircut and be the best version of yourself.
Even though emails are the most common method of communication between applicants and recruiters, it is also a good idea to share your phone number.
Some recruiters prefer direct call, rather than having to wait for applicants to see the email and answer.
As for your home address, it is usually not mandatory to share that information. Some people are reluctant to give their address to people they don’t know.
However, it is not a bad idea to share your address because that information would give recruiters an insight into your location.
In that case, they could decide to give you an officer closer to home or pay you for transportation if you live really far from the company.
As mentioned above, email messages are the most common ways of communication between recruiters and job applicants, as well as between the employees in the company in general.
Therefore, it is not a surprise that sharing your email address is one of the mandatory information to put when writing a resume.
One thing to note here is that you shouldn’t give just any email. You should make a single email only for business purposes. Just like in the table.
As you can see in the table, it is not a good idea to share emails built of your nicknames and similar, because it doesn’t look professional enough.
It is better to write the one with your full name in it, or if your name is too long, you can also put a shorter version of your name. Just make sure it doesn’t look silly.
Social media profiles
We couldn’t imagine the world without social media and the internet nowadays. You can find almost anything on social media. From your favorite restaurants to future husbands or wives.
However, even though they were built for fun, social media platforms grew and became a very important factor in business as well.
Every major company in the world advertise itself on at least one social media platform.
Therefore, it is not a bad idea to share some of your social media profiles in your resume. Social media profiles can affect your proposal enormously.
Depending on the type of job you do, you can share multiple profiles, but one thing in common they need to have is that they have to look professional. So, sharing Instagram profiles with some inappropriate pictures wouldn’t cut.
So, before sharing anything, make sure you make your social media profiles look professional and they could raise your chances of getting the job.
One social media you should always share in your resume is your LinkedIn profile. It is very popular amongst businessmen.
However, before you share it, make sure to edit the link of your LinkedIn profile, as shown in the table below. It would look more professional without those random numbers and letters.
GUIDE ON WRITING THE SUMMARY SECTION
Even though the best resumes are short in length, they should all have a small summary section, where you would summarize everything you intend to write in your resume in just several sentences.
First of all, you should always start with your title, then state how much experience you have and in what precise field or sub-field.
After that, it is a good idea to write what skills you have and what skills you had used in your previous jobs or projects. If you had any achievements, make sure to mention them as well. Let’s take a look at the example below.
As you can see from the table, this summary is very detailed. It tells recruiters what types of jobs you worked before, what skills you had acquired, and what they can expect from you as an architecture applicant.
That way, they will be able to compare multiple applicants, simply by reading their resumes.
If the competitor was the person with the summary section from the right column, recruiters would easily rule him/her out and accept another person.
It is the case because there are a lot of people with years of experiences who worked on different projects. But there aren’t that many people with all capabilities included in the left column summary.
So, in order to succeed, you need to stand out, and this is one of several ways of doing it.
GUIDE ON WRITING THE EXPERIENCE SECTION
In the experience section, you should write your current and past jobs, as well as any internships or projects you might have had.
The best way of writing the experience section, as well as most other sections of the resume is by applying reverse-chronological order, meaning that you should first write your most recent jobs while putting your first job in the last place.
Apart from that, it is a good idea to write a few points about each job, what were your responsibilities and achievements. Let’s take a look at the example below.
GUIDE ON WRITING THE EDUCATION SECTION
After the experience section, you need to write the education section.
The principle is the same.
First, write your highest education and finish with the lowest.
However, in some cases, you don’t even have to put your lowest education, especially if you have a lot of experience and you don’t want to make your resume too long without any reason.
Also, make sure to put several points, describing your school activities. You can also put GPA score if you had good grades and Dean’s list if you managed to get onto it for several consecutive semesters.
If you are kind of lazy to do all that by yourself, feel free to use our resume template builder and just fill in the necessary information.
GUIDE ON WRITING THE SKILLS SECTION
As for writing something about your skills, you need to make sure not to include irrelevant information. Let’s take a look at a practical example.
As you can see in the table, you should only put the skills that are important for the position you want to apply for. If you are applying for an architect job, there is no point to state that you are a good cooker.
Another good idea is to use the bulleting list to separate skills into categories, to make it look more professional and much easier to read.
By doing this, you allow recruiters to easily weigh your skills against other people’s skills and decide whether you should get the job or not. To take advantage of this, read the article about the best skills you can put in your resume.
TIPS & TRICKS
Now that we’ve presented you with the general guidelines for writing the resume let’s go over some smaller things that are also very important to remember. Those are:
- Choosing the right font style – every time when writing something, the first logical question is what font to use? Even though there are a lot of options to choose from, you should pick wisely by checking how the certain font would look with the template you want to use. However, even though some font looks good, you need to keep in mind that you should definitely avoid using handwritten font styles. They are much harder to read, which makes them less professional. And when writing a resume, you always want that it looks professional.
- Optimal resume size – you’ve probably seen resumes that are over 2 or even 3 pages long. Some people like to write everything about themselves, thinking that the more they write, the higher their chances of getting the job are. However, that is not the case. Resumes should contain all important information about yourself, but it is not a good idea to make it huge. They should be only 1, max 2 pages in length.
- Using bulleting lists – putting a lot of information in your resume, while keeping it short enough is not an easy task. One thing that good help you with that is the use of bulleting lists. That way, you will be able to put much more information than writing it in the text, thus preserving the space. And by having the listed information, it would be much easier for recruiters to read everything.
- Picking the file format – not many text file formats are actually usable for writing a resume. The most common two are TXT and PDF formats. TXT one is easier to edit and update, so people often pick it as the main format for their resume. However, that is usually a mistake. Even though TXT is easier to edit, PDF format looks more professional, meaning that you should always use PDF format for your resume before you send it to recruiters. You should always keep the copy of your resume in TXT format though, in case you need to update it or add more information. Just make sure not to send that one to recruiters.
- Picking a template for your resume – in order for you to show recruiters what kind of person you really are, it is a good idea to have a template for your resume that would reflect your personality. That way, the recruiters would be able to judge your personality better, which is just one more way of introducing yourself to someone. The best way to have a template that would show what kind of person you are is to make your own template. However, it takes time, and sometimes people don’t have enough time to do it. In that case, we have something for you. Our resume template builder. Feel free to use it and make your resume in just a couple of minutes.
- Regular email checkup – nowadays, emails are the main channel of communication between employees in firms and company recruiters and potential candidates. However, sometimes it can happen that emails get lost or put in the spam folder, which makes it much easier to miss some messages. Therefore, it is a good idea to check your email regularly, so you wouldn’t miss a message about a potential interview.
- Revisiting your resume – when you finish filling in your resume, it is a good idea to come back to it and read it like you are the recruiter looking for new employees. That way, you will be able to see if you had missed anything important. Once you do that, your resume will be fully ready to be sent out and win you that dream job you seek.
- Build the resume for a specific job – it’s not unusual that people often tend to send one resume for every job they apply. That is a rookie mistake, simply because not every job is the same. Not every job requires you to have the same set of skills. Being an IT specialist and a teacher is completely different, and you need different skills to do each of these jobs. Therefore, what you need to do when you write a resume is write different resumes for different types of job. Yes, the core ideas are the same, but there are certain points that should be different, depending on the job you want to apply for. So, before you send your current resume, do some research on the job position you’re applying for and check if you need to edit your resume to fit that position. That way, you will increase your chance of getting the job.
- Writing about politics – sometimes people get jobs by using their connections, either in politics or somewhere else. However, it is not a good idea to write about your political opinion in your resume, simply because you can almost never be sure whether the person on the other side of the table has the same political opinion as you. So, you don’t want them to exclude you from the job application because they don’t agree with some of your opinions.
- Correct grammar – one of the most important things to think about when writing a resume is to have text that is grammatically correct. Having grammatical errors looks very unprofessional. And no one likes unprofessional people. If your resume looks neat and nicely written, you will have a higher chance of getting the job you want.
- Regular resume updates – over the time people learn new things, acquire new skills and perhaps spend time working on new jobs. However, people often forget to update their resumes with that information. That is a mistake. The resume should represent what kind of person you are and what kind of skills and interests you have. That’s why you should always try to update your resume with the new and important information, whenever you acquire important skills or do some job-related courses.
That should be everything we stored for you today people.
We discussed and learned how to write a perfect resume for the field of Architecture.
We taught you what are the most important resume points and sections and how to write them, as well as what information is important enough to be included in the resume.
What remains now, is for you to go out there, create your own resume and get your dream job.
If you still feel like you need some help to do it, make sure to use our resume template builder, which would help you make your resume in a matter of minutes.