Careers at Aditya Birla Group
Aditya Birla Group is an Indian conglomerate with a diverse set of interests, spanning the metals, cement, textiles, chemicals, power, financial services, and mining sectors, among others.
The Company seeks to establish itself as a trusted service provider and business partner.
Aditya Birla Group was founded by Aditya Vikram Birla (“Birla”) in the 1960s, but traces its roots back to the nineteenth century.
The Birla family is an established Indian business family. Its origins lay with Seth Shiv Narayan Birla who, in 1870, launched a cotton and jute trading business in Pilani, Rajasthan.
The Birla family continued to be influential business figures in the early twentieth century under the leadership of Birla’s father B. K. Birla.
Birla joined his father in the management of the family business in the 1960s. He was notably put in charge of companies including Grasim, Hindalco, and Indian Rayon, which later formed the basis of Aditya Birla Group.
Birla established the family’s business across South East Asia during the latter half of the twentieth century, setting up a number of production bases in the region. Birla notably set up 19 companies outside India, including in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Egypt.
Birla is credited with establishing Aditya Birla Group, and at the time of his death in 1995, the group was generating revenue in excess of INR 80 billion and employed more than 75,000 workers around the world.
Aditya Birla Group has continued to expand its operations and reach.
The Company now employs more than 120,000 workers, and generates approximately 50% of its group revenues from overseas operations that span 34 countries in the Americas, Africa and Asia.
Business model of Aditya Birla Group
Aditya Birla Group provides a wide range of services to customers across a broad spectrum of industries.
The Company primarily serves customers in the following segments:
- Construction and Development, including companies operating in the construction and real estate development sector to which the Company provides cement and building materials;
- Agriculture, comprising agriculture, farming, and chemicals businesses to which the Company provides products including fertilisers;
- Fashion and Clothing, comprising clothing manufacturers and textiles companies to which the Company provides materials and textile products;
- Industry and Manufacturing, comprising various companies operating in the manufacturing sector, including chemicals companies, rubber producers, and other manufacturers; and
- General Consumers, comprising members of the general consumer population to which the Company provides telecoms and financial services.
Aditya Birla Group serves a broad international customer base. The Company has a global presence, including operations across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Africa.
Aditya Birla Group provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- History and Reputation – Aditya Birla Group benefits from its longstanding reputation and established track record across multiple industries that dates back to the nineteenth century, instilling trust and comfort among its customers;
- Size and Reach – Aditya Birla Group has an extensive reach with operations across 34 countries spanning the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe, and employing approximately 120,000 members of staff across its numerous operating subsidiaries;
- Diverse Services – Aditya Birla Group has a a presence across a broad spectrum of industries, including the financial services, energy, chemicals, telecommunications, metals, cement, textiles, fashion and retail, and mining sectors, tailoring services to a wide range of clients; and
- Expertise and Experience – Aditya Birla Group’s standing enables it to attract well-trained, experienced personnel with expertise across its operating sectors, as well as experienced and effective senior executives.
Aditya Birla Group provides its various services to clients directly.
The Company organises its operations across a number of subsidiaries in a range of jurisdictions, including notable subsidiaries such as Gasim Industries Limited, Hindalco Industries Limited, Aditya Birla Capital Limited, and Ultratech Cement. The Company operates separate sales and service teams across these subsidiaries and others, organised along business lines and by jurisdiction.
Aditya Birla Group also provides services directly to consumers via its operations in the telecommunications and financial services businesses.
These businesses operate online service channels, telephone services channels, and other methods of dealing with consumers. Aditya Birla Group’s industrial and mining operations notably serve customers via manufacturing, processing, and mining assets.
Aditya Birla Group seeks to establish longstanding relationships with its clients, securing recurring business over extended periods of time.
The Company notably has regular clients with which it has worked for many years.
Across its subsidiaries and operating units, Aditya Birla Group works closely with clients to understand their priorities and unique needs, to ensure that clients are provided appropriate and effective products and services.
Aditya Birla Group operates a group website at www.adityabirla.com, through which it provides information that can be accessed by clients on a self-service basis.
This includes information on the Company’s various operating markets, locations, subsidiary companies, services, and corporate structure.
The Company’s major subsidiaries also operate their own individual websites, through which customers can access more specific industry and market information.
On its website, Aditya Birla Group also hosts a media portal, through which it publishes company updates, press releases, reports, and event information for its clients to peruse.
It is additionally able to communicate directly with customers through its various social media accounts, including with LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Aditya Birla Group is a large Indian conglomerate with diverse interests. It is led by parent company Aditya Birla Management Corporation Pvt. Limited.
Through its various subsidiaries, the Company operates in the metals, cement, textiles, chemicals, agri-business, rubber and specialty carbon blacks, iron ore mining, alloy, wind power generation, insulators, cellular services, financial services, supermarkets, and trading sectors.
The Company’s wide range of products includes aluminium, copper cathodes, precious metals, white cement, ready-mix concrete, staple fibres, rayon grade pulps, yarns, and acrylic fibres.
Aditya Birla Group’s core subsidiaries include Gasim Industries Limited, Hindalco Industries Limited, Aditya Birla Capital Limited, and Ultratech Cement.
Aditya Birla Group works closely with a wide range of partner companies across its multiple operating sectors and jurisdictions.
The Company’s partners can be organised broadly into the following categories:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, including suppliers of materials and equipment used across the Company’s industrial and manufacturing operations, as well as providers of third party services that support the Company’s broader corporate operations;
- Technology Partners, comprising technology and computing companies that world with the Company in developing effective IT and communications systems and efficient operating infrastructure;
- Joint Venture Partners, comprising a range of organisations and commercial enterprises with which the Company offers products and services across multiple sectors via jointly owned and controlled companies; and
- Strategic and Alliance Partners, comprising a varied range of organisations and businesses with which the Company and its subsidiaries work on various other projects, including in marketing, business development, and innovation.
Aditya Birla Group has launched a number of notable partnerships in recent years. This includes tie-ups with companies such as IBM, Varde Partners, Vodafone, Citi Group, Abraaj Group, and Azafran Innovacion.
Aditya Birla Group has a wide range of business interests, and as such depends on a wide range of resources across its operating segments.
The Company’s key resources include its manufacturing and industrial assets, its network of offices and operating locations, its personnel – notably its industry specialists, its partnerships, its equipment, its brands and intellectual properties, and its supplies and supply chain – notably materials used in manufacturing processes.
Aditya Birla incurs costs in relation to the procurement of supplies and materials across its manufacturing operations, the procurement of third party services, the operation of its manufacturing and processing assets, the operation of its office locations – including utility and occupancy costs, the payment of salaries and benefits to its personnel, the development of intellectual properties, the management of its partnerships, and the development and maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure.
Aditya Birla does not publish group accounts. As such, it is difficult to determine the Company’s total costs across its multiple subsidiaries.
In 2017/2018, however, Hindalco Industries Limited, one of Aditya Birla Group’s largest subsidiaries, alone recorded annual cost of sales totalling USD 38.31 billion.
Aditya generates revenue across multiple operating segments and subsidiaries.
This includes revenue derived from the provision of financial services, the production and sale of textiles, the production and sale of chemicals, the processing and sale of metals, and the operation of telecommunications networks, among others.
As noted above, Aditya Birla does not publish group accounts.
In 2017/2018, however, Hindalco Industries Limited recorded annual sales and operating revenues of USD 43.45 billion, up on the USD 39.38 billion recorded by the company in 2016/2017.
Jobs at Aditya Birla Group
Assistant General Manager/Dyputy General Manager - Product Research & Development (Birla White, Kharia)
Officer/Senior Officer-Employee Relations (Grasim Industries Ltd. Unit-Aditya Birla Insulators-Halol)
1.847.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!