Careers at ADT
ADT Inc (“ADT”) aims to provide consumers, commercial enterprises, and other organisations with products and solutions that help to ensure their safety and security and to protect their homes and property.
ADT traces its roots back to 1863, when Edward A. Calahan invented a stock ticker and later formed the Gold and Stock Telegraph Company.
In 1970, the president of Gold and Stock Telegraph Company woke up to a burglar in his home, an incident that inspired him to create a telegraph-based alert system for security.
This system that he created eventually connected 50 of his neighbours to a central station where all the alert boxes were monitored.
In 1874, 57 district telegraph delivery companies merged their operations, forming American District Telegraph.
In the early twentieth century, ADT began to diversify its activities to include the development of fire and security alarms.
Throughout the twentieth century and the early twenty-first century, ADT continued to expand its operations and service offerings.
In 1997, the Company was acquired by Tyco International PLC by way of a reverse takeover.
Tyco acquired Broadview Security in 2010, merging the company with its ADT division, and in 2011 announced that it was dividing its operations into three separate entities, ADT being one of them.
Today, ADT is one of the largest security companies in the world, with a particularly large presence across the US and Canada.
The Company employs a workforce of more than 18,000 employees across North America in more than 200 locations, serving approximately 7 million customers.
ADT has a current market capitalisation of approximately USD 4.87 billion.
Business model of ADT
ADT provides a range of products and solutions to consumers and commercial customers.
ADT serves different client bases through its four core business lines:
- Home and Personal, comprising general consumers, specifically homeowners, to which it provides residential security products and systems;
- Business Security, comprising small and medium-sized businesses to which the Company provides security systems and monitoring products;
- Health and Senior Safety, comprising elderly and vulnerable consumers to which the Company provides at-home medical alert and assistance products; and
- Commercial, comprising multinational commercial enterprises and large commercial or industrial facilities to which the Company provides specialist or integrated security systems and products.
ADT is headquartered in the US. The US and Canada are the Company’s principal markets. ADT, however, also serves customers in Europe.
ADT provides value to its clients in the following ways:
- Reputation and Standing – ADT is among the largest and best-known security companies in the world, with a positive track record dating back as far as the nineteenth century and a reputation that customers can trust;
- Wide range of High Quality Products – ADT offers a wide range of high quality security products – including security alarm systems, medical alert systems, video doorbells, and fire safety systems – ensuring that it is able to fulfill the varied needs of its consumer and commercial customers;
- Innovation and Technology – ADT dedicates significant resources to developing new and innovative security systems, ensuring that to is able to maintain its market position and continue to be on the industry’s cutting edge;
- Customer Service and Care – ADT offers excellent customer service, employing specialist customer care employees who provide efficient customer service over the phone and online, ensuring that customer concerns are addressed quickly and effectively; and
- Efficient Service – ADT aims to provide its customers with same-day or next-day service, including installation, repairs, and other services, across its operating markets.
ADT sells its products and solutions to customers directly. It serves its customers primarily via a network of approximately 240 sales and service offices located throughout the US and Canada.
From these locations, the Company’s dedicated sales and service personnel, including approximately 5,600 installation and service technicians, provides monitored security and automation system installations and on-premises service and repair.
ADT staffs its field offices with personnel who are able to efficiently and effectively make sales calls, install systems, and provide service support.
The Company additionally utilizes the services of third-party subcontractor when appropriate to assist with these efforts.
ADT’s sales and installation operations are supported by operations at the company’s monitoring centres, through which customers are able to access ongoing assistance and support.
ADT provides long-term service to its customers, by providing ongoing security and monitoring services.
The Company seeks to establish itself as a key partner of its customers in the operation and maintenance of security and safety systems.
ADT operates a website at www.adt.com, through which kit provides information to customers on a self-=service basis. This includes information on the Company’s various services, operating locations, specialist solutions, and structure.
The Company additionally operates an online client portal, through which customers can access information concerning their security systems and accounts.
Customers are able to access assistance vi ADT’s dedicated support team, the members of which can be contacted over the phone or online.
The Company is additionally able to interact directly with customers and provide company updates via its multiple social media accounts, including with Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, and YouTube.
ADT is a leading provider of monitored security, interactive home, and business automation and related monitoring services in the US and Canada.
The Company offers a wide range of products, including home security systems, home automation systems, security cameras, fire safety solutions, home and safety systems, and monitoring services.
It also offers residential, commercial, and multi-site customers a comprehensive set of burglary, video, access control, fire and smoke alarm, and medical alert solutions.
The Company offer 24/7 monitoring capabilities that are enabled via its network of 12 monitoring centres across the UIS and Canada.
ADT works closely with a network of partner companies and organisations across the US and Canada. These partners can be organised broadly into the following categories:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, comprising suppliers of equipment, tools, and materials that the Company uses in the development and implementation of its core security and safety products and solutions, as well as third party providers of services that support the Company’s corporate activities;
- Technology and Innovation Partners, comprising technology companies and security specialists that assist the Company in developing innovative products and solutions so that it is able to maintain its leading market positions;
- Service Partners, comprising various contracting companies and security companies that support the Company’s installation, maintenance, and repair operations, ensuring that customers can be served quickly and efficiently;
- Strategic Partners, comprising a range of other companies and organisations with which the Company collaborates on business development, marketing, and other commercial projects.
ADT has a number of partnership in place. This includes tie-ups with high-profile companies, such as Amazon, Samsung, Nest, and Cofense.
ADT’s business model depends on its ability to provide reliable and effective security and safety systems to its clients.
As such, the Company’s key resources are its intellectual properties and proprietary technologies, its equipment and products, its network of sales channels, its monitoring and service facilities, its partnerships, its personnel – in particular its specialist technical personnel, its research and development facilities, and its IT and communications infrastructure.
ADT notably owns and or leases a number of physical properties across the US and Canada.
This includes approximately 240 sales and service offices, 12 monitoring centres, seven customer and field support locations, two national sales call centres, and two regional distribution centres.
ADT incurs costs in relation to the development of its products and solutions, the installation and maintenance of its solutions, the operation of its sales organisations, the procurement of equipment and resources, the procurement of third party services, the operation of its monitoring and service centres – including utility and occupancy costs, the payment of salaries and benefits to its personnel, the management of its partnerships, and the development and maintenance of its IT and communications personnel.
In 2018, ADT recorded cost of revenue for the year totalling USD 1.04 billion, and selling, general, and administrative costs totalling USD 1.25 billion.
ADT generates revenue through the development and sale of security, safety, and monitoring systems to residential, commercial, and business customers.
The Company derives its revenue under sales contracts and ongoing service contracts agreed directly with customers. ADT divides its revenue into two categories: monitoring and related services, and installation and other.
In 2018, ADT recorded total revenue for the year in the amount of USD 4.58 billion.
The vast majority of the Company’s revenue was derived from its monitoring and related services, which accounted for USD 4.12 billion. The remaining revenue was attributed to installation and other.
info: Jim DeVries (“DeVries”) has served as Chief Executive Officer at ADT since November 2018. He is responsible for leading the Company’s overall strategic direction and coordinating between the Board of Directors and the Company’s senior executive team. DeVries first joined ADT in May 2016 as Chief Operating Officer, following which he served for more than a year as President before assuming his current position. DeVries has held a number of senior executive roles, primarily in the financial sector. From 2000 to 2008, he served as Senior Vice President of Human Resources at Principal Financial Group. In 2008, he joined Allstate as Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, a role he held until 2014, when he was promoted to the position of Executive Vice President of Operations.
info: Jeff Likosar (“Likosar”) has served as Chief Financial Officer at ADT since joining the Company in October 2016. He is responsible for overseeing the Company’s various financial management operations, including the activities of its accounting, tax, internal audit, and investor relations units. Likosar began in 1993, when he joined GE Appliances as an analyst. He went on to serve as a financial planning and analysis manager, and later a plant finance manager before moving to GE Plastics in 1998 as a finance manager. He later served in several Chief Financial Officer roles at GE companies, including at GE Plastics, and GE Aircraft Engines. Likosar served consecutively as Chief Financial Officer of Global Resins and Business Transformation Leader at SABIC before joining Dell in 2008. Likosar held several senior executive roles at Dell between 2008 and 2013, and prior to joining ADT served as Chief Financial Officer at Gardner Denver.
info: Jamie Haenggi (“Haenggi”) has served as Chief Customer Officer at ADT since August 2018. She is responsible for overseeing the Company’s customer relations operations, and ensuring that the Company’s dealings with customer are consistent across its operating units. Haenggi first joined ADT as an executive in 2016 as Chief Marketing Officer, following which she served as the Company’s Chief Sales and Marketing Officer. Haenggi has twice been employed by ADT. From 1998 to 2006, she served as the Company’s Vice President of Worldwide Marketing. In 2007, she joined Vonage as Chief Marketing Officer a role she held for more than eight years before joining Protection 1 in the same role. This was her last role before rejoining AFDT in 2016.
Jobs at ADT
1.847.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!