Careers at Air Products
Air Products produces and sells a range of industrial gases and related products, with the aim of providing a supply of reliable products for use in various industrial processes.
Air Products organises its operations into seven reportable business segments:
- Industrial Gases – Americas;
- Industrial Gases – Europe, Middle East, and Africa;
- Industrial Gases – Asia;
- Industrial Gases – Global;
- Materials Technologies;
- Energy-from-Waste; and
- Corporate and other.
The Company’s Industrial Gases segments each produce atmospheric gases – including oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and rare gases – process gases – such as hydrogen, helium, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, syngas and specialty gases – and equipment for the production or processing of gases, such as air separation units and non-cryogenic generators.
The Materials Technologies segment delivers innovation-driven solutions for specific customer applications within niche markets through chemical synthesis, analytical technology, process engineering, and surface science. It is comprised of two business divisions: Performance Materials, which is focused on a portfolio of additives products that provide high value properties at low cost across a variety of industries; and Electronic Materials, which is focused on supplying critical materials and equipment to the semiconductor industry.
In 2016 Air Products decided to exit its Energy-from-Waste business based on continued difficulties encountered in making its two Energy-from-Waste projects operational. The Energy-from-Waste segment is now presented as a discontinued operation.
Air Products was founded in 1940 by Leonard Parker Pool. The Company was developed around the then novel concept of delivering industrial gases through on-site facilities. Air Products was involved providing services to the military during the World War II, but post 1945 was able to focus its attention on commercial developments. The Company went on to expand its operations significantly throughout the 20th Century, largely by way of acquisitions.
Today, Air Products is one of the largest producers of industrial gases in the world. It offers a broad range of products, and serves a diverse customer bases spanning the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe, Middle East and Africa. Air Products is ranked 288th on the Fortune 500 list. It trades a portion of its shares on the New York Stock Exchange and has a current market capitalisation of $30.60 billion.
Business model of Air Products
Air Products manufactures and sells a broad portfolio of product that are utilised by commercial and industrial customers across multiple business sectors. The Company primarily serves customers in the following industries:
- Energy, including oil and gas companies, power generators, oil and gas refining, bioenergy, and natural gas companies;
- Electronics, including customers across the electronics assembly and packaging industry, notably printed circuit board assembly businesses and semiconductor manufacturers;
- Chemicals, including producers of petrochemicals and specialist chemicals;
- Metals, including metals processing and fabrication companies, iron and steel producers, and non-ferrous metals companies;
- Manufacturing, including manufacturers of paints, plastics, rubber, and other products; and
- Transportation, including shipbuilders, automotive and aviation companies, mass transit, and materials handling companies.
Air Products also serves customers in the agriculture, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and graphic arts industries. No single customer accounted for more than 10% of the Company’s consolidated revenues in 2016.
Air Products’s largest market is its native US. The Company, however, also serves an extensive international customer base, including clients across Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Africa.
Air Products provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its industry standing and reputation, with the Company established as a leading provider of atmospheric and process gases, having a track record for providing high-quality products and services;
- Its broad portfolio of products, with the Company providing a range of atmospheric and process gases – including oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, and helium – as well as related equipment products such as air separation units, which serve customers across a wide range of industries
- Its international reach, with the Company serving a large domestic customer base, as well as serving customers across markets in Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Africa, and the Middle East;
- Its commitment to innovation, with the Company dedicating a substantial portion of its funds to the development of new and innovative processes and technologies that are utilised in the production of its various products;
- Its industry expertise and experience, with the Company employing specialist technical personal across its numerous operating segments, as well as a team of experienced industry executives.
Air Products operates a website at www.airproducts.com, through which it provides information on its various products, target industries, and corporate activities. The Company does not operate an online sales channel. It does, however, operate an online customer portal, which enables customers to locate a nearby sales agent.
Air Products makes sales through an in-house direct sales force, which is organised geographically. The Company’s sales personnel operate out of the Company’s principal administrative offices located Trexlertown in Pennsylvania, Hersham in England, and Santiago in Chile. The Company also makes sales through a network of third party sales agents and distributors, particularly in jurisdiction that the Company is not itself well served.
Air Products operates its own network of hundreds of production facilities across the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe. It also operates its own distribution facilities – including pipeline infrastructure – through which it delivers products to clients. Air Products delivers its gases in liquid bulk form by tanker or tube trailer, as packaged gases in cylinders, or through on-site facilities.
While Air Products does not operate an online sales channel, it does provide some services and tools to customers on a self-service basis through its online customer portal. This includes the Company’s agent locator, which enables customers to find a local seller of the Company’s various products.
Air Products sells its products directly to customers, consulting with them over period of time to establish the exact details of each individual sales contract. Bulk gas sales often run between three and five years, with the Company seeking to establish long-term relationships and secure recurring business.
Air Products has a dedicated customer support team that is available to provide personalised assistance to its clients. Customers are able to contact support staff with queries and enquiries over the phone or via an online contact form. Air Products additionally offers a range of customer support resources through its website, including FAQs, ordering and delivery guides, and product documentation.
Customers are also able to follow Air Products’s operations through its social media accounts – including with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube – as well as interact with the Company directly.
Air Products is an industrial gases company. It aligns its operations into seven reportable business segments: Industrial Gases-Americas; Industrial Gases-Europe, Middle East, and Africa; Industrial Gases-Asia; Industrial Gases-Global; Materials Technologies; Energy-from-Waste; and Corporate and other.
The Company manufactures and distributes products in two lines of business: Industrial Gases and Materials Technologies. The Company’s core Industrial Gases business produces and sells atmospheric and process gases – including oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen – as well as related equipment products, such as air separation units and non-cryogenic generators.
Air Products serves a range of customers across manufacturing markets, including refining and petrochemical, metals, electronics, and food and beverage. The Company is also a supplier of liquefied natural gas process technology and equipment, and serves the semiconductor, polyurethanes, cleaning and coatings, and adhesives industries.
Air Products partners with a range of companies and organisations across its various operating segments. These partners can be organised into the following categories:
- Supplier and Procurement Partners, including suppliers of raw materials, equipment, and tools used in the Company’s production and distribution processes, as well as providers of services that are utilised across the Company’s operating segments more broadly;
- Channel and Distribution Partners, including the Company’s network of third party sales agents and distribution partners, who assist the Company in the marketing, selling, and delivery of its products to customers;
- Technology Partners, comprising various technology and manufacturing companies that help the Company to develop unique industrial gas generating systems, and authorize the Company to use certain technologies under licence agreements;
- Sustainability Partners, including various charitable organisations and non-profits, with which the Company collaborates on community and sustainability projects; and
- Joint Venture Partners, comprising various industrial and manufacturing companies with which the Company jointly produces and sells products through mutually owned entities.
Air Products names a number of its preferred partners on its website. This includes companies such as Relevant, Bauer Compressors, Branick, CFM Air Equipment, Engineered Corrosion Solutions, and Fruit Control Equipment.
Air Products’s key resources are its technologies and intellectual properties, its supply chain, its manufacturing facilities, its sales and distribution infrastructure, its online portal, its IT and communications infrastructure, its partnerships, and its personnel.
Air Products owns a number of intellectual properties that are key to its operations. The Company owns approximately 970 US patents, approximately 3,900 foreign patents, and is a licensee under certain patents owned by third parties. Searches of records published by the US Patent and Trademark Office identified a number of patent applications filed in the name of Air Products, including applications entitled ‘Methods to prepare silicon-containing films’, ‘Process for the production of hydrogen’ and ‘Process for making trisilylamine’.
Air Products also owns and or leases a number of physical properties. This notably includes its extensive network of production and distribution facilities across its various operating regions.
Air Products incurs costs in relation to the development of its technologies, the procurement of materials and services, the operation of its manufacturing and distribution facilities, the development of its online portal, the maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure, the implementation of marketing campaigns, the management of its partnerships, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2016 Air Products recorded total cost of sales for the year in the amount of $6.40 billion, selling and administrative costs totalling $849.3 million, and research development costs totalling $132.0 million.
Air Products generates revenue through the sale of industrial gases, including atmospheric and process gases, as well as the sale of related equipment products, such as air separation units and non-cryogenic generators.
In 2016 Air Products generated annual sales to external customers in the amount of $9.52 billion, down on the $9.90 billion recorded by the Company in 2015. The Company’s largest revenue generator was its Industrial Gases – Americas segment which recorded sales of $3.34 billion. This was followed by its Materials Technologies segment with $2.01 billion.
info: Seifollah Ghasemi (“Ghasemi”) has served as Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, and President at Air Products since joining the Company in 2014. He oversees s the Company’s overall strategic direction. Ghasemi worked for most of his early career at BOC Group, where he held roles of increasing responsibility over a period of 20 years. This included a spell as President of BOC Gases Americas. In 1997 he joined GKN, where he held a number of leadership positions, such as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of GKN Sinter Metals. Prior to joining Air Products. Ghasemi served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Rockwood Holdings from 2001.
info: Michael Crocco (“Crocco”) has served as Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President at the Company since 2013. He also sits on the Company’s Board of Directors. Crocco has been with the Company since 1990, having joined the Company as part of its Career Development Program. He subsequently held a variety of financial analysis and financial management positions in the Chemicals Group, Gases Group, Corporate Treasury and Corporate Controllership. Prior to assuming his current role, Crocco served as Vice President and Corporate Controller at the Company.
info: Corning Painter (“Painter”) serves as Executive Vice President of Industrial Gases at Air Products, and sits on the Company’s Board of Directors. Painter is a long-serving Air Products employee, having first joined the Company in 1984 as a participant in its Career Development Program. He went on to hold a number of commercial and operating positions of increasing responsibility, and has held senior leadership positions since 1992. This includes spells as Regional Vice President for Asia Electronics, and Chairman of Air Products San Fu, a majority-owned joint venture company in Taiwan.
Jobs at Air Products
1.395.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!