Careers at Cardinal Health
Cardinal Health provides a range of pharmaceutical and medical products and services, seeking to ensure efficient delivery of such products to medical and pharmaceutical retail customers across the US, Canada, and China.
Cardinal Health organises its operations into two reportable business segments:
- Pharmaceutical, which distributes branded and generic pharmaceutical, specialty pharmaceutical, over-the-counter healthcare and consumer products in the US, as well as providing other related services such as pharmacy management services; and
- Medical, which distributes a broad range of medical, surgical and laboratory products and provides services to hospitals, ambulatory surgery centres, clinical laboratories and other healthcare providers in the United States, Canada and China.
Cardinal Health was founded in 1971 by Robert Walter under the name Cardinal Foods, initially operating as a food wholesaler. The Company acquired the Bailey Drug Company in 1979, following which it began selling drugs and pharmaceutical products on a wholesale basis under the name Cardinal Distribution Inc. The Company has since expanded its operations significantly, focusing its operations on the pharmaceutical market.
Cardinal Health is now one of the largest pharmaceutical distribution companies in the world, controlling a substantial share of the domestic US market. The Company is ranked 21st on the Fortune 500 list and is placed 68th on the Forbes Global 2000 list. Cardinal Health trades a portion of its shares on the New York Stock Exchange and has a current market capitalisation of $23.39 billion.
Benefits at Cardinal Health
Business model of Cardinal Health
Cardinal Health provides a range of pharmaceutical and medical products and services, principal serving customers in the pharmaceutical sector. The Company’s customers can be organised into two core categories:
- Retail and Distribution Customers, including various grocery stores, retail pharmacy chains, specialist medical and pharmaceutical distributors, pharmacy services providers, and other commercial retail businesses; and
- Medical and Healthcare Customers, including healthcare facilities such as hospitals and clinics, medical research and laboratory companies, ambulatory surgery centres, and other healthcare providers.
In 2016, Cardinal Health’s five largest customers, including its largest client CVS Health, accounted for 40% of the Company’s total revenue for the year.
Cardinal Health principally serves customers in its home market of the US, which accounts for the bulk of the Company’s business. The Company also serves an international customer base, primarily customers in China and Canada.
Cardinal Health provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its industry standing and reputation, with the Company established as one of the largest and most well-known distributors of medical and pharmaceutical products, controlling a significant share of its market and serving a number of high-profile clients;
- Its broad products portfolio, with the Company offering an extensive range of products and services, including branded and generic pharmaceutical, specialty pharmaceutical, over-the-counter healthcare and consumer products, as well as pharmacy management services;
- Its international reach, with the Company serving a large domestic customer base in the US, as well as customers in China and Canada;
- Its relationships with suppliers, with the Company maintaining longstanding relationships manufacturers and suppliers of medical and pharmaceutical products, ensuring that it is able to distribute an extensive range of products to its customers; and
- Its industry expertise and experience, with the Company employing specialist personnel across its operating segments, as well as a team of experienced industry executives.
Cardinal Health operates a website at www.cardinalhealth.com, through which it provides information on its products, services, and corporate activities. The Company does not operate an online sales channel, however, it does provide customers access to an online portal, through which they are able to manage their transactions and orders.
Cardinal Health makes its sales directly to customers through its in-house sales force, which operates out of the Company’s network of offices. The Company’s sales and service force is organised by geographic region, with the Company operating offices in the US, Canada, and China.
Cardinal Health additionally operates its own service, pharmacy, and distribution facilities around the world, ensuring that it is able to serve clients quickly and efficiently through nearby facilities. The Company operates through a total of more than 300 facilities worldwide.
Cardinal Health does not sell products to its customers on a self-service basis. The Company, however, does operate an online client portal that enables customers to manage their transaction history and account details without interacting directly with members of the Company’s sales and service personnel.
Cardinal Health consults directly with its customers in order to establish the unique details of each individual sales and distribution contract. The Company works closely with its clients over a period of time, seeking to establish longstanding relationships and securing recurring business.
Cardinal Health provides ongoing support to its customers. The Company’s large clients are afforded their own account management teams, which are available to handle enquiries and queries at all times. Other customers are able to contact the Company’s support personnel over the phone and by email, in order to receive tailored assistance.
Cardinal Health provides various online resources to its customers, including product information and terms and conditions. It also operates a number of social media accounts – including with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn – through which it is able to provide company updates and maintain customer relationships.
Cardinal Health operates as a healthcare services and pharmaceutical products distributor. The Company aligns its operations into two reportable business segments: Pharmaceutical, which is concerned with the distribution of branded and generic pharmaceutical, specialty pharmaceutical, over-the-counter healthcare and consumer products, as well as the operation of nuclear pharmacies and cyclotron facilities and provision of pharmacy management services; and Medical, which is concerned with the distribution of medical, surgical and laboratory products, and the provision of services to hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, clinical laboratories and other healthcare providers.
The Company also manufactures, sources and develops its own Cardinal Health brand medical and surgical products through its Medical segment. Cardinal Health serves various retail and distribution customers and healthcare facilities across the US, Canada, and China.
Cardinal Health works closely with a number of companies and organisations to ensure the efficient delivery and sale of its products. These partners can be organised broadly into the following categories:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, comprising pharmaceutical manufacturers and other medical product suppliers that provide product to the Company or resale, as well as suppliers of services, technologies, equipment, and materials that are utilised across the rest of the enterprise;
- Distribution and Logistics Partners, comprising various distribution and logistics companies, including specialist pharmaceutical distributors, that assist the Company in the delivery of its products to customers around the world;
- Group Purchasing Organisation Partners, comprising various group purchasing organisations, with which the Company works to jointly operate group purchasing programs; and
- Strategic and Alliance Partners, comprising various market-leading companies, principally within the pharmaceutical space, with which the Company collaborates on joint marketing, branding, and development projects.
Cardinal Health has agreed numerous partnerships in recent years. This includes group purchasing organisations Innovatix, Vizient, Intalere, and Asembia, as well as with high-profile pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer.
Cardinal Health’s key resources are its products and intellectual properties, its supplier relationships and supply chain infrastructure, its research and development facilities, its sales and distribution facilities, its partnerships, and its personnel.
Cardinal Health owns a number of patents and intellectual properties that are utilised in the Company’s manufacture and distribution of products. Searches of records published by the US Patent and Trademark Office identified a number of patent applications in which Cardinal Health is named as applicant or assignee, including applications entitled ‘Modular cassette synthesis unit’, ‘Bone plate’ and ‘Apparatus and methods for sealing vascular punctures’.
Cardinal Health also owns and or leases a number of physical properties that are key to its operations. This includes 24 primary pharmaceutical distribution facilities and one national logistics centre, six specialty distribution facilities, more than 140 nuclear pharmacy and cyclotron facilities, and more than 70 medical-surgical distribution, assembly, manufacturing and other operating facilities.
Cardinal Health incurs costs in relation to the procurement of products and merchandise, the operation of research and development facilities, the operation of supply chain and distribution infrastructure, the management of its partnerships and supplier relationships, the implementation of marketing campaigns, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2015 Cardinal Health recorded cost of goods sold in the amount of $115.00 billion, and distribution, selling, general, and administrative expenses – including occupancy and employee benefit costs – in the amount of $3.65 billion.
Cardinal Health generates revenue through the sale of various pharmaceutical and medical products, as well as the provision of various related services. The Company derives revenue via sales and distribution contracts and other service-related fees.
In 2016 Cardinal Health generated revenue for the year in the amount of $121.55 billion, up considerably on the $102.53 billion recorded by the Company in 2015. The Company attributed this increase in revenue to general sales growth from existing and new pharmaceutical distribution customers and from acquisitions. The Company’s Pharmaceutical segment attributed for the vast majority of the Company’s revenue, recording revenue for the year of $109.13 billion.
info: George Barrett (“Barrett”) has served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Cardinal Health since 2009, having joined the Company the year previous as Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Healthcare Supply Chain Services. Barrett currently oversees the overall strategic direction of the Company. Barrett also serves on the Board of Directors at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. Barrett is an experienced pharmaceutical industry executive. He held various positions at Alpharma Inc, serving as President of US Pharmaceuticals from 1994 to 1997, and President of NMC Laboratories, prior to its acquisition by Alpharma in 1990. He went on to join Teva, where he held a number of roles, including spells as corporate executive vice president for Global Pharmaceutical Markets and President and Chief Executive Officer for North America, before joining Cardinal Health.
info: Mike Kaufman (“Kaufman”) has served as Chief Financial Officer at Cardinal Health since 2014. He oversees the financial functions of the Company, including its investor relations, tax, internal audit, and accounting units. He also oversees the Company’s global sourcing for both the Pharmaceutical and Medical segments. Kaufman also serves as a member of the Board of Directors at MSC Industrial Supply. Kaufman first joined Cardinal Health in 1990 and held a number of senior operational, sales and finance positions. He has since held several senior executive roles, such as Chief Executive Officer of the Pharmaceutical Segment and Group President of Pharmaceutical Supply Chain. Prior to joining Cardinal Health, Kaufmann worked in audit and consulting with Arthur Andersen.
info: Jon Giacomin (“Giacomin”) has served as Chief Executive Officer of the Pharmaceutical Segment at Cardinal Health since 2014, overseeing the operations of the Company’s Pharmaceutical segment. Giacomin joined Cardinal Health in 2001 as Vice President and General Manager of its Pharmaceutical Repackaging business. He has held a number of senior executive positions at the Company prior to his current role, including spells as President of US Pharmaceutical Distribution, and Executive Vice President of Pharmaceutical Operations. Prior to joining Cardinal Health, Giacomin held engineering roles with Griffith Micro Science, Sterigenics and the US Navy.
Jobs at Cardinal Health
2.821.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!