Careers at Centene
Centene provides various healthcare and medical services, largely via government-subsidised medical programs in the US, to individuals and government bodies, as well as to commercial entities.
Centene’s business operations are organised into two reportable segments:
- Managed Care, which provides health plan coverage to individuals through government subsidised programs; and
- Specialty Services, which provides diversified healthcare services and products to government programs and public bodies, healthcare organisations, and commercial organisations, as well as to its own subsidiaries.
Centene was founded in 1984 as a single health plan in Wisconsin. The Company has since grown significantly. Centene has diversified its offerings, adding various specialty services – such as pharmacy solutions, in-home health services, and correctional healthcare services – to its portfolio, and now provides individual services through numerous government-subsidised medical and healthcare programs. Centene currently operates across 23 of US states.
Today, Centene is one of the largest healthcare services providers in the US. It generates annual revenue in excess of $20 billion and employs more than 18,000 members of staff nationally. The Company is ranked 124th in the Fortune 500 list and is ranked 1,037th in the Forbes Global 2000 list. Centene listed shares on the New York Stock Exchange in 2001, with an initial public offering of 3.5 million shares of common stock at an asking price of $14 per share. The Company continues to trade its shares publicly, and has a current market capitalization of $11.78 billion.
Benefits at Centene
Business model of Centene
Centene provides a range of customers with various healthcare services and products. Its customers can be categorised as follows:
- Individual Customers, comprising general consumers, focusing on under-insured and uninsured individuals;
- Government and Public Bodies, comprising state programs, correctional facilities, and other government-owned oganisations;
- Healthcare and Medical Organisations, comprising healthcare organisations and facilities; and
- Commercial Entities, including medium and large enterprises across multiple sectors and employer groups.
Centene serves its individual customers through government subsidised programs, such as Medicaid, the State Children's Health Insurance Program, Long Term Care, Foster Care, and the Supplemental Security Income Program. The Company recently stated that its Medicare Advantage plans were targeted principally at seniors from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
Centene serves a broad domestic customer base in the US. It does not appear to offer services to international customers.
Centene provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its industry standing and reputation, with the Company established as a reliable provider of medical and healthcare services, having been recognised for its comprehensiveness and improved outcomes by several bodies;
- Its community and social responsibility activities, with the Community participating in various community outreach programs, collaborating with charitable organisations, and operating in a sustainable way;
- Its broad domestic reach and cooperation with government programs, with the Company serving customers across the US through multiple US government subsidised programs;
- Its experienced specialist personnel, with the Company employing expert staff across its two operating segments, with executives that have experience in dealing with government programs; and
- Its data-driven service approach, with the Company ensure effective outreach procedures for new members by using predictive modeling technology.
Centene operates a website at www.centene.com through which it provides information on its services, plans, and activities. The Company, however, does not operate an online sales channel or customer portal.
Centene serves its customers through its locally-based in-house sales and service teams, which assist customers in accessing care, coordinating referrals to related health and social services, and addressing member concerns and questions. Centene is required by various insurance and regulatory authorities to have offices in the service areas where its provide benefits. This includes offices and locations in each of the Company’s 23 operating states across the US, as well as a network of claims processing facilities.
Centene also provides education and outreach programs through specialist teams, seeking to inform and assist members in accessing quality, appropriate healthcare services. The Company also seeks to increase its Medicaid membership in its operating states through alliances with key providers, outreach efforts, development and implementation of community-specific products and acquisitions.
Centene does not provide any products or services to its customers on a self-service basis. Instead, the Company serves its customers directly through its sales, customer service, and support staff. These members of staff work closely with customers, providing personalised assistance and advice with regard to appropriate courses of action. The Company seeks to establish longstanding relationships with its customers under fixed-term and flexible contracts.
Centene provides ongoing support to its customers, who are able to access personal assistance from support staff either over the phone or via an online contact form. The Company also provides a range of resources to customers through its website, including educational resources and news articles. Customers are also able to interact with the Company directly through its social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
Centene is a diversified healthcare company that provides programs and services to government sponsored healthcare programs, and provides education and outreach programs to inform and assist its members in accessing appropriate healthcare services.
Centene’s activities are divided into two operating segments: Managed Care, which provides health plan coverage to individuals, through government subsidised programs, including Medicaid, the State Children's Health Insurance Program, Long Term Care, Foster Care, dual-eligible individuals, and the Supplemental Security Income Program, also known as the Aged, Blind or Disabled Program; and Specialty Services, which comprises the operations of various Centene companies that offer a range of healthcare services and products to state programs, correctional facilities, healthcare organisations, employer groups and other commercial organisations.
Centene works in conjunction with a number of partner companies and organisations across multiple business segments. These partners include:
- Joint Venture Partners, comprising a range of companies and organisations with which the Company collaborate on projects and provides joint services through mutually-owned entities;
- Social and Non-Profit Partners, comprising a range of charitable organisations and non-profits with which the Company collaborates on social and community projects;
- State Government and Medical Partners, comprising a range of government bodies and agencies with which the Company cooperates on medical programs;
- Education Partners, comprising universities and research companies with which the Company collaborates on educational programs and training.
In recent years, Centene has launched a number of partnerships. This includes a partnership with MHM Services to serve Massachusetts’ state correctional system, a deal with Webster University under which team members of Centene can receive a corporate partner tuition rates for undergraduate and graduate programs, and tie-up with a children's author to develop its own children's book series on topics such as obesity prevention and healthy eating, asthma, diabetes, foster care, smoking, anti-bullying and heart health.
Centene’s key resources are its various operating licences, its relationships with government programs, its IT and communications infrastructure, its partnerships, its sales and distribution channels, and its personnel.
Centene’s operations are dependent on licences it owns, and that its subsidiaries own, that permit Centene companies to operate as health maintenance organisations, third party administrators, utilisation review organisations, pharmacies, direct care providers and/or insurance companies in their respective states. The Company is also dependent on its access to various government-subsidised health programs, such as Medicaid and Long Term Care.
Centene incurs costs in relation to the payment of various licensing and professional fees, the maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure, its compliance with government regulations and guidelines, the management of its partnerships, the payment of medical expenses, the operation of its sales and distribution channels, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2015 Centene accrued total operating costs in the amount of $22.06 billion. The majority of these costs relate to medical costs, which amounted to $17.24 billion for the year. The Company’s cost of services totalled $1.62 billion and its general and administrative expenses amounted to $1.83 billion. This included the payment of salaries and benefits to the Company’s workforce of 18,200 employees.
Centene generates revenue through the provision of various medical and healthcare services, principally its activities as an insurer. The Company typically collects fixed premium fees from its members each month, pursuant to its state contracts. The Company derives revenue through its specialty services, which are divided into a number of business lines:
- Pharmacy solutions;
- Health, Triage, Wellness, and Disease Management Services;
- Vision Services;
- Dental Services;
- Care Management Software;
- Correctional Healthcare Services;
- In-Home Health Services; and
- Integrated Long-Term Care.
In 2015 Centene generated $22.76 billion in total revenue, up substantially in the $16.56 billion recorded by the Company in 2014. The majority of the Company’s revenue was generated through premiums collected in relation to its core Managed Care services, which amounted to $19.39 billion. The Company’s service revenue for the year totaled $1.88 billion.
info: Michael (“Neidorff”) has served as Chairman of Centene since 2004, and has been the Company’s President and Chief Executive Officer since 1994. Neidorff has worked within the medical and healthcare sector for more than 30 years. From 1985 Neidorff served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Physicians Health Plan of Greater St Louis, a subsidiary of United Healthcare Corporation, a publicly-traded managed care organisation which has since been renamed UnitedHealth Group. He went on to join Coventry Corporation, a publicly-traded managed care organisation, where he served as Regional Vice President and as President and Chief Executive Officer of its subsidiary, Group Health Plan
info: Jeff (“Schwaneke”) has served as Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer at Centene since 2016. He first joined the Company in 2008 as Senior Vice President, Controller and Chief Accounting Officer. From 2000 Neidorff served as senior associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers, leaving the firm in 2002 to join SPX Corporation as Segment Controller. After three and a half years he moved to Novelis, where he served as Vice President, Controller and Chief Administrative Officer for more than two years before joining Centene. Schwaneke holds a bachelor’s degree in Accounting from the University of Missouri-Columbia.
info: Ken (“Yamaguchi”) has served as Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer at Centene 2015. He is also a member of the Board of Directors at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Yamaguchi does not have any significant executive experience outside of his time at Centene. He is an experienced medical academic, having served since 1995 as Sam and Marilyn Fox Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Washington University in St Louis. Yamaguchi has also served as a medical doctor, having held the Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at The George Washington University and a fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at the Columbia University in the City of New York.
Jobs at Centene
1.404.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!