Careers at Ensighten
Ensighten’s mission is to transform the way enterprises collect, own, and act on business data.
Josh Manion was the owner of a digital analytics agency in Chicago, one that was eight years old. His clients included several large enterprise companies. He noticed that a lot of them had multiple vendors for their customer marketing needs (web analytics, mobile analytics, etc) – some had as many as 30. Manion felt that this situation posed a number of problems for the firms.
One issue was that different vendors often used varying formats to present information to different functions within the enterprise – e.g., IT vs. Finance. This often meant that clients had to purchase different versions of the data. Another issue was that having different vendors resulted in having multiple silos of data about customers, providing multiple views rather than a comprehensive one.
Manion decided to tackle this challenge by developing a solution that would combine information from various vendors into a unified view, using a tag management process. After coming up with a prototype he beta-tested it with his clients. He founded a company for the product, Ensighten, in 2009. His test clients, satisfied, became his first paying customers, and the firm took off from there.
Benefits at Ensighten
Business model of Ensighten
Ensighten has a niche market business model, with a specialized customer segment. The company targets its offerings at firms seeking a tag management solution to better manage customer experiences.
Ensighten offers three primary value propositions: accessibility, performance, and brand/status.
The company creates accessibility by offering a wide variety of options. Its platform addresses a number of mission-critical use cases ranging from mobile experience optimization to omni-channel personalization. Further it provides over 1,000 turnkey digital marketing vendor integrations.
The company has demonstrated strong performance through tangible results for customers. High-profile examples of positive outcomes include the following:
- Oi used Ensighten’s services to synchronize its third-party marketing solutions, resulting in an increase in online sales of more than 1,000% and a 99% website visitor satisfaction rate
- Symantec used Ensighten’s services to integrate its best-of-breed testing solutions, resulting in an advanced testing architecture running more than 100 concurrent experiements per month
- Purina used Ensighten’s services to streamline its tagging process and get rid of IT backlogs, resulting in the saving of more than 600 hours of development time on implementations
- United Airlines used Ensighten’s services to improve optimization programs and analytics and unify customer data, resulting in an eight-digit return on investment within 10 months
- Seagate used Ensighten’s services to effectively target customers, resulting in a greater number of conversions and effective tying of the conversions to other marketing campaigns
The company has established a strong brand due to its success. Its customers include 22 percent of the Fortune 100 and 50 percent of all computer software firms and commercial banks within the Global 500. Specific prominent clients include Microsoft, Citi, Virgin Atlantic, Home Depot, Staples, and British Airways. Lastly, it has won many honors, including recognition as one of the “Vendors to Watch” in Gartner‘s Digital Marketing Hubs Magic Quadrant (2016) and as one of the top 500 fastest-growing private companies in the U.S by Inc. Magazine for the second year in a row.
Ensighten’s main channels are its direct sales team and its website. The company promotes its offering through its social media pages, webinars, workshops, and participation in conferences.
Ensighten’s customer relationship is primarily of a personal assistance nature. It assists customers in the following ways:
Support Services – The company offers phone and e-mail support, as well as online support through its Customer Success Portal.
Training Services – The company maintains Ensighten Academy, a training program through which it offers courses with hands-on exercises, training videos, and access to Ensighten experts. It also provides the Ensighten Certified Professional (ECP) certification program to validate expertise.
Consulting Services – The company offers Ensighten Expert Services, through which consultants help customers maximize value from their product investments. Specific services are as follows:
- Analytics Solutions – Help clients transform data into actionable insight with data visualization, marketing analytics, advanced analytics, correlation discovery, attribution modeling, predictive analytics, and data mining.
- Customer Success Solutions – Helps clients grow their business and achieve the highest possible ROI through implementation, enablement, training, and support.
- Strategic Services – Helps clients learn best practices in data intelligence, experience optimization, digital strategy, and marketing operations.
Despite this orientation, there is a self-service component. The company’s website features a number of self-help resources, including white papers, case studies, product information, videos, webinars, infographics, and answers to frequently asked questions.
Ensighten’s business model entails maintaining and updating its platform for customers.
Ensighten maintains the following types of partnerships:
- Technology Integration Partners – The company provides turnkey integrations with over 1,000 top digital marketing vendors across several categories, including advertising, web and mobile analytics, testing and optimization, personalization, and voice of customer. Specific partners include AdEasy, BizRate, ClickTale, Digital Forest, Edgecase, Firefly, Greystripe, HookLogic, iClick, and JumpTime.
- Service Partners – The company works with firms who provide its customers with a variety of services, including optimization, advertising, web analytics, and digitla marketing measurement. Specific partners include 2DataFish, Annalect, Bitbang, Cognizant, Digitas, and Ebiquity.
Partners receive access to training, content, and other resources to help grow their businesses. They are also provided with proactive support in the form of Dedicated Partner Managers.
Ensighten’s main resources are its human resources, who include the engineering employees that maintain and update its software-as-a-service platform, the training/consulting staff that offer instruction and guidance, and the customer service employees who provide support.
It places a high priority on intellectual property, with 50 issued patents/applications spanning various use cases and core technologies.
Lastly, as a startup it has relied heavily on funding from outside parties, raising $108.5 million from seven investors as of October 2015.
Ensighten has a value-driven structure, aiming to provide a premium proposition through significant personal service and frequent product enhancements.
Its biggest cost driver is likely cost of services, a variable expense. Other major drivers are in the areas of customer support/operations and sales/marketing, both fixed expenses.
Ensighten has one revenue stream: the annual subscription fee it charges for access to its platform. The amount varies by a customer’s volume of transactions, and customers can sign up for multiple years in advance (which will yield discounts).
info: Josh earned a degree in Management Science with a focus on Information Technology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He previously served as CEO of Stratigent, a web analytics and marketing consultancy, for seven years.
info: Josh earned a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana. He previously served as a Software Architect at Ensighten and Stratigent. He has more than 10 years of experience in tech consulting.
info: Marty earned a B.S. in Accounting from the University of Baltimore. He previously served as an independent financial advisor at Spectrum Equity, as a VP of Finance and CFO at two insurance firms, and as a manager in the audit department of Ernst & Young.
info: Greg earned an MBA from Depaul University. He previously served as Vice President of Strategic Accounts at Acxiom and held executive sales positions at Corio and BearingPoint. He has 18 years of experience.
1.803.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!