Careers at Flexport
Flexport's mission is to fix the user experience in global trade and bring the world free trade through technology.
Flexport is a licensed freight forwarder that uses people and software to manage the complexity of international trade. They offer services in air freight, ocean freight, trucking, warehouse & fulfillment, customs brokerage, and cargo insurance.
- Air freight – Flexport offers a flexible service, with direct immediate flights available, consolidation, documentation, packing and labelling, customs clearances and bonds, regulatory filings, inspections, insurance, and warehousing services. It leverages on technology, industry experts, and its partner network to ensure low costs and flexible schedule times.
- Ocean freight – Flexport offers both FCL and LCL shipping, container drayage and handling, last mile delivery, documentation, customs clearances and bonds, regulatory filings, inspections, and insurance services. It offers a door-to-door or port-to-port integrated service that is trackable via app, email and a personal logistics manager.
- Trucking – Flexport offers Less Than a Truckload (LTL), Full Truckload (FTL), Airport Pickup, Drayage, and CFS Pickup services. It offers an integrated service in what is normally the most challenging and error-prone leg of international shipping.
- Warehouse & fulfillment – Flexport has partnerships with warehouses and fulfillment centres in key distribution regions around the world. It offers advice on shipping operations and distribution networks.
- Customs brokerage – Flexport assists with navigating all the various laws and regulations in key regions in the world.
- Cargo insurance – Flexport provides cargo insurance for just 0.40% of merchandise value for most shipments to and from Europe and Asia and just 0.50% for most other regions.
Flexport was started by Ryan Petersen, a UC Berkeley and Columbia Business School graduate in March 2013. It received Series A funding to the tune of $20 million led by Peter Thiel's Founders Fund in 2015.
Benefits at Flexport
Business model of Flexport
Flexport serves both institutional and retail clients.
- Institutional – For institutional clients, it provides an integrated service ranging from port-to-port shipment to supply chain optimization, all with the use of proprietary technology and with an all-in pricing.
- Retail – For retail clients, it provides a door-to-door service with tracking available 24/7 via an app.
Flexport’s main value proposition is that it uses technology to offer an integrated quality service for international shipping – it can provide convenient and fast door-to-door or port-to-port service.
It also leverages heavily on technology, with clients being able to track shipments, conduct and review analytics, and even generate customizable shipment and supply chain reports through an app.
It is transparent, allowing customers to compare freight rates and to negotiate. Another big value proposition is the speed of service – it boasts a turnaround time of less than 24 hours for customized quotes.
Flexport mainly operates online, with sales being either online or through one of their international offices in San Francisco, New York, Amsterdam, or Hong Kong.
Flexport maintains customer relationships through online channels, via its online dashboard and app. It can also handle customers over the phone or at one of its international offices.
Flexport’s main activity is the facilitation of international shipment, and the provision of supply chain analytics and optimization services.
Flexport’s key partners are freight forwarding companies, specifically in ocean FCL/LCL, air freight, trucking and fulfillment.
Flexport’s key resource is its proprietary software platform that allows consumers to access and negotiate pricing, track shipments, perform and review analytics and optimize supply chains.
Flexport’s key costs are research and development, staff, and partnership costs.
Flexport does not publish its financial data. It is expected that its main revenue streams come from institutional clients, of which there are at least 600, with at least 8 being publicly traded companies.
info: Ryan holds an MBA from Columbia and a B.A. in Economics from UC Berkeley. He is also the founder and ex-CEO of ImportGenius.com.
info: Amos holds an MS in Computer Science from New York University. Amos previously worked as CTO of Geni.Inc and was also the Technical Lead at Shopzilla.
info: Ben holds a degree in philosophy from Vassar College. Ben previously served as URX’s Head of Growth and previously led Heyzap’s publisher SDK sales team.
info: Sanne holds an MBA from Columbia and a MS in Mechanical Engineering from Delft University. He currently serves on the technology advisory board of the Port of Rotterdam, and was previously with the Boston Consulting Group.
Jobs at Flexport
2.821.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!