Careers at IRESS
IRESS seeks to improve the efficiency and data management systems of various financial and banking clients through a range of software solutions and platforms.
According to its annual report, IRESS organises its operations into eight operating segments:
- ANZ Financial Markets, through which the Company provides information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio systems and related tools to cash equity participants in Australia and New Zealand;
- ANZ Wealth Management, through which the Company provides financial planning systems and related tools to wealth management professionals in Australia and New Zealand;
- Canada, through which the Company provides information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio systems and related tools to cash equity participants in Canada;
- South Africa, through the Company provides information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio systems and related tools to cash equity participants, as well as financial planning systems and related tools to wealth management professionals in South Africa;
- Asia, through which the Company provides information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio systems and related tools to cash equity participants, as well as financial planning systems and related tools to wealth management professionals in Asia.
- UK Financial Markets, through which the Company provides information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio systems and related tools to cash equity participants in the UK;
- UK Enterprise Lending, through which the Company provides enterprise mortgage origination software and associated consulting services to clients in the UK; and
- UK Wealth Management, through which the Company provides financial planning systems and related tools to wealth management professionals in the UK.
IRESS was founded in 1993 by Peter Dunai, Neil Detering, and Hung Do, operating initially under the name Dunai Financial Systems. The Company’s first product was its equity information software named IRESS. In 1997 Bridge Information Systems acquired an 80% stake in the Company merging its operations into the newly-formed BridgeDFS. The Company first took on the IRESS name in 2001, when BridgeDFS was renamed IRESS Market Technology Limited.
IRESS has gone to develop an extensive portfolio of software products, and has established itself as a leading financial technology company, particularly in its key markets of Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. IRESS has also established a presence in Canada and South Africa, as well as in certain other Asian markets. It has expanded its interests significantly since the mid-2000s through a series of acquisitions, including those of Dealer Management Systems Pty Ltd, TransActive Systems Pty Ltd, and VisiPlan Pty Ltd.
IRESS has traded shares on the Australian Stock Exchange since 2000. It has a current market capitalisation of AUD 1.93 billion.
Business model of IRESS
IRESS provides a range of software services and solutions to clients across the financial services and banking industries. This includes small independent firms, multinational financial and banking corporations and institutions, and various individual financial, wealth management, and banking professionals.
IRESS names a number of its clients on its website, including various high-profile companies. The Company lists companies such as iSelect, HoodSweeney, Centrepoint Alliance, MultiForte Financial Services, UniSuper, and WLM Financial on its website among its customers.
IRESS is based in Australia. The combined Australia and New Zealand market comprises the Companies principal market and largest revenue generator. The Company also serves a significant client base in the UK, where the Company also maintains an operational presence. IRESS serves a broader international client base, with additional customers across Asia, Canada, South Africa.
IRESS provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its reputation and industry standing, with the Company an established name within the financial technology sector, particularly in Australia and New Zealand and the UK, where it has a positive track record;
- Its range of products and solutions, with the Company offering its clients a broad portfolio of solutions – including broking, investment management, and financial planning software products – that cover a range of fields within the financial services sector and serve a broad range of financial institutions and professionals;
- Its accessibility, with the Company providing its customers access to its software solutions and technology platforms through its website, allowing clients to utilise the Company’s various tools independently and at any time;
- Its international reach, with the Company serving a broad range of international clients, particularly in Australia and New Zealand, as well as across Asia, South Africa, and Canada; and
- Its industry expertise and experience, with the Company employing specialist technical personnel in the fields of financial services and technology, as well as a team of experienced industry executives.
IRESS operates a website at www.iress.com, through which the Company provides information on its products and solutions, target customers, and corporate activities. While the Company details its various solutions on its website, it does not operate an online sales channel, only providing contact details for potential clients to register an interest.
The Company does, however allow clients to access its IRESS Trader, IRESS Investor, and Wealth Management OSC platforms via the Company’s homepage, through which clients can manage their financial operations independently. IRESS additionally offers tools through its mobile applications for iOS and Android devices.
IRESS makes its sales primarily through a direct sales force, which is organised both by product and service line and geographic region. These sales personnel operate out of the Company’s international network of offices in Asia Pacific, North America, Europe, and Africa, including in Auckland, Melbourne, Singapore, London, Johannesburg, and Toronto. The Company additionally appears to utilise the services of various independent agents.
IRESS does not sell its products and solutions to clients on a self-service basis. Its online platforms and mobile apps, however, allow customers to access a range of software tools on a self-service basis through the Company’s website.
IRESS makes its sales primarily through its in-house direct sales force, the members of which consult directly with clients prior to making sales in order to ensure that they are offered the most appropriate solutions for their needs. The Company provides services and solutions under service agreements and contracts agreed on an individual basis.
IRESS offers ongoing after-sale support to its clients, who are able to access personalised technical assistance form dedicated support personnel over the phone, via email, or through an online contact form. The Company also provides a range of resources to clients through its website, including industry insights and research, training materials, and blogs. It also provides information on its upcoming events, affording clients the opportunity to interact with the Company in person.
IRESS additionally operates several social media accounts – including with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube – through which it is able to provide corporate updates and interact with clients.
IRESS an Australia-based provider of information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio and wealth management, and enterprise lending systems and related tools. The Company serves a range of corporate, commercial, and individual professional clients across the banking and financial services industries. IRESS organises its operations into eight operating segments, arranged by product line and geographic region.
The Company’s offerings are organised into three categories: Financial Market Services, including the provision of information, trading, compliance, order management, portfolio systems and related tools; Wealth Management Services, including the provision of financial planning systems and related tools to wealth management clients; and Enterprise Lending, including the provision of enterprise mortgage origination software and associated consulting services. IRESS serves an international client base across Australia, New Zealand, the UK, South Africa, Canada, and other markets in Asia.
IRESS works in close conjunction with a range of partner companies and organisations, ensuring that it is able to provide effective solutions to its clients. These partners can be organised broadly into the following categories:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, comprising suppliers of services, tools, equipment, and technologies that support the development and distribution of the Company’s various products and solutions;
- Financial Partners, comprising a range of financial institutions and firms – including multinational institutions and smaller firms – with which the Company work on various financial solutions;
- Technology Partners, comprising technology companies and systems integrators with which the Company partners on the development and implementation of financial software solutions; and
- Strategic and Alliance Partners, comprising a range of companies across multiple sectors with which the Company works closely on a range of joint projects.
IRESS has launched a number of partnerships in recent years. This includes a partnership with Sentry Group to develop technology solutions, a partnership with LV= to deliver an integrated advice and wealth management solution, and a partnership with Standard Life to launch an integration hub in the UK.
IRESS’s key resources are its technologies and intellectual properties, its software platforms and solutions, its sales and distribution network, its IT and communications infrastructure, its network of partners, and its personnel.
IRESS utilises a range of proprietary technologies in the development and implementation of its solutions. Searches of records published by the US Patent and Trademark Office and by IP Australia identified no patent applications filed in the name of IRESS.
IRESS also owns and or leases a number of physical properties around the world, primarily as part of its office network spanning Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Canada, South Africa, and Asia.
IRESS incurs costs in relation to the development of its technologies and solutions, the development and maintenance of its online platforms, the maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure, the procurement of professional services, the implementation of marketing campaigns, the management of its partnerships, the operation of its sales and administrative offices, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2015 IRESS recorded customer data fees in totalling AUD 29.19 million, communication and other technology expenses totalling AUD 17.60 million, and employee benefit expenses totalling AUD 185.06 million.
IRESS generates revenue through the provision of financial software solutions to a range of corporate, institutional, and individual clients. The Company devices its revenue primarily under service contracts agree on a case-by-case basis.
In 2015 IRESS generated operating revenue for the year in the amount of AUD 361.5 million, up on the AUD 329.0 million recorded by the Company in 2014.
info: Andrew has served as Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director at IRESS since 2009, overseeing the overall strategic direction of the Company. He first joined the Company in 2003 as General Manager for Wealth Management. Walsh began his career in 1995 as an actuarial analyst, and later consultant, at Mercer. He went on to join Vision FPS in 2000, where he served briefly as an actuarial development manager before founding XPLAN Technology. Walsh led XPLAN Technology for two years before joining IRESS.
info: John has served as Chief Financial Officer at IRESS since joining the Company in 2015. In this role, he leads the Company’s various financial functions, including its internal audit, investor relations, and accounting units. Harrison began his career at Arthur Andersen, where he served as a consultant for ten years. In 2004 he joined Commonwealth Bank where he held various positions over the course of 11 years. He initially served in the company’s internal audit department, following which he took on positions of increasing responsibility, including spells as General Manager for Finance Systems, Chief Financial Officer for International Financial Services Asia, and General Manager for Strategy and Business Development, and International Financial Services Asia.
info: David has served as Chief Technical Officer at IRESS since 2001, leading the Company’s technical operations teams. He is a long-serving IRESS employee, having first joined the Company in 1995 as a software developer. He served as a software developer at Tracker Software Australia for a brief spell in 1997, before being named senior software developer at IRESS later that same year. Prior to his appointment as Chief Technical Officer, Walker served as software development manager.
1.624.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!