Careers at J.B. Hunt
J.B. Hunt is a logistics solutions provider that provides a range of transportation and supply chain services, with a view to optimising the logistics operations of its customers.
J.B. Hunt organises its operations into four business segments:
- Intermodal, which provides intermodal freight solutions for our customers throughout the continental United States, Canada, and Mexico through arrangements with service major North American rail operators;
- Dedicated Contract Services, which provides design, development, and execution of supply chain solutions in support of transportation networks, as well as specialised equipment, and final-mile delivery services;
- Integrated Capacity Solutions, which provides traditional freight brokerage and transportation logistics solutions through relationships with third-party carriers and integration with its own equipment; and
- Truck, which provides full-load, dry-van freight services, utilising tractors operating over roads and highways.
J.B. Hunt was incorporated in Arkansas in 1961 by Johnnie Bryan Hunt. The Company began its operations with a fleet of just five trucks and seven refrigerated trailers to support the US’s growing rice hull business.
In the 1980s, following the introduction of the US Motor Carrier Act which lifted numerous route and commodity restrictions, J.B. Hunt expanded its operations significantly. The Company began turning a healthy profit and in 1983 completed its initial public offering. In order to combat a shortage of drivers in the industry, the Company improved the compensation model and working conditions for its drivers. This allowed the Company to make ground on many of its competitors in the 1980s and 1990s.
Today, J.B. Hunt is among the largest logistics and trucking companies in the US, with the Company providing a range of different services and transportation methods to customers across multiple business segments. It manages an extensive fleet of vehicles and equipment and employs a workforce of more than 21,000 employees. The Company is listed 416th on the Fortune 500 list. J.B. Hunt continues to trade shares on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol JBHT, and has a current market capitalisation of $9.08 billion.
Benefits at J.B. Hunt
Business model of J.B. Hunt
J.B. Hunt provides logistics and supply chain services to a range of commercial customers, principally medium and large businesses that include supply chain management as an integral part of their business strategies.
The Company provides services to customers across a number of business sectors, including:
- Automotive, for which its transports parts and products;
- Consumer Goods and Retail, for which it transports products such as clothes and electronics;
- Food Service, for which it transports food and beverage products;
- Manufacturing and Industrial, for which it transports resources and materials; and
- Plastics and Chemicals, for which it transports ingredients and resources.
J.B. Hunt’s principal market is its native US, which accounts for the majority of its business. The Company also serves clients across Canada and Mexico.
J.B. Hunt provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its industry standing, with the Company one of the most established operators of its kind in the US, with a track record for providing reliable services;
- Its extensive distribution infrastructure and equipment, with the Company employing various transportation methods, both through its own fleet of vehicles and through third-parties;
- Its broad portfolio of service offerings, with the Company providing a range of service offerings, with services tailored to suit the needs of clients across multiple industries;
- Its safety and security policies, with the Company employing various processes and technologies to ensure that its services are delivered safely and securely; and
- Its environmental sustainability, with the Company dedicated to creating more sustainable supply chain solutions for its customers.
J.B. Hunt operates a website at www.jbhunt.com, through which it provides information on its various services, carrying methods, and fleet. The Company also operates an online customer portal at www.jbhunt.com/360, through which they are able receive quotes, tender shipments, and review shipment information.
J.B. Hunt deals directly with its clients through its in-house sales and service teams, which are organised by segment and by geographic region, and operate across a network of offices in the US, Canada, and Mexico. The Company delivers its services through its own multi-channel fleet, comprising trailing equipment, cube containers, chassis, contractor trucks, and tractors.
J.B. Hunt makes a number of service offerings available to its customers on a self-service basis, through its 360 customer portal. This online channel allows customers to receive service quotes, tender shipments, manage transactions, and review shipment histories without interacting with members of the Company’s sales and service teams.
J.B. Hunt’s sales and service teams work closely with customers, consulting over a period of time to agree the details of service contracts. The Company works with customers to provide services that suit their individual needs, with the Company offering a variety of transportation methods, seeking to establish long-term relationships.
J.B. Hunt provides various support services to its customers, including online resources such as white papers, news articles, and company reports. New and existing customers are also able to contact the Company’s various departments and offices over the phone or by post. The Company also operates several social media accounts – including with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Google+ - through which it is able to interact directly with customers.
J.B. Hunt operates as a holding company for a number of operating companies engaged I various logistics and supply chain services. Through its subsidiaries, J.B. Hunt provides surface transportation and delivery services to commercial customers across the continental US, Canada, and Mexico. J.B.
Hunt operates through four business segments: Intermodal, which provides intermodal services, relying on third-party national rail carriers for the linehaul movement of its equipment between rail ramps; Dedicated Contract Services, which provides design, development, and execution of supply chain solutions; Integrated Capacity Solutions, which provides traditional freight brokerage and transportation logistics solutions; and Truck, which provides full-load, dry-van freight services over roads and highways.
J.B. Hunt partners with a range of companies and organisations across its four operating segments. These partners include:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, comprising suppliers of tools, equipment, technologies, and services, which support the Company’s operations and in-house services;
- Distribution and Transportation Partners, comprising third-party distributors and logistics companies that extends the reach and capabilities of the Company’s proprietary fleet of vehicles;
- Joint Venture Partners, comprising various international logistics and transportation providers with which the Company provides services through mutually owned entities; and
- Strategic and Alliance Partners, comprising companies with which the Company shares resources and collaborates on joint projects.
J.B. Hunt is also a participant in the SmartWay program, a voluntary partnership between the US government and the transportation industry to develop and implement methods to improve air quality and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in transportation.
J.B. Hunt’s key resources are its logistics infrastructure and equipment – including its fleet of vehicles and transportation units, its IT and communications infrastructure, its sales and distribution channels, its partnerships, and its personnel.
J.B. Hunt operates an extensive infrastructure system and fleet. This includes 78,957 pieces of trailing equipment – comprising a chassis fleet of consisting of 68,076 units and corresponding cube containers, more than 5,000 tractors, 6,762 company-owned trucks, as well as operating contractor and customer-owned trucks.
J.B. Hunt incurs costs in relation to the development and maintenance of its logistics infrastructure and equipment, the management of its fleet – including the acquisition of fuel, the acquisition of rented equipment and services, the maintenance of its online platform and IT infrastructure, the operation of its sales and distribution channels, the management of its partnerships, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2015 J.B. Hunt’s largest expense related to rents and purchased transportation, which amounted to $2.99 billion, representing 48.4% of the Company’s revenue for the year. The Company also incurred significant personnel costs – including the payment of salaries and benefits to its workforce of 21,562 employees – which totalled $1.39 billion, or 22.5% of total revenue. The Company’s fuel and tax costs were $313.04 million, representing just over 5% of the Company’s revenue.
J.B. Hunt generates revenue from the movement of freight from shippers to consignees, the provision of customised labour and delivery services, and the provision of general logistics and supply chains services. The Company’s revenue is derived from fees collected in relation to:
- The provision of intermodal freight solutions;
- The design and implementation of supply chain models;
- The provision of freight brokerage and transportation logistics solutions; and
- The provision of ground freight services.
In 2015 J.B. Hunt generated $6.19 billion in operating revenue, up marginally on the $6.17 billion recorded by the Company in 2014. The majority of the Company’s revenue was generated by its Intermodal segment, which generated $3.66 billion for the year, representing around 59% of the Company’s total revenue. The majority of the Company’s remaining revenue was generated by the Company’s Dedicated Contract Services segment, which recorded an annual revenue of $1.45 billion.
info: John (“Roberts”) has served as Chief Executive Officer and President at J.B. Hunt since 2011, and has been a director of the Company since 2010. Roberts has also served as a director of the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis since 2015. Roberts first joined J.B. Hunt in 1989, serving initially as a management trainee. He moved into the Company’s Marketing Department in 1990 when he was made a regional marketing manager. In 1996 he was appointed the Company’s Vice President of Marketing Strategy, his first significant executive role. He has since held numerous senior leaderships positions, including spells as Executive Vice President and President of Dedicated Contract Services.
info: David has served as Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President of Finance and Administration at J.B. Hunt since 2009. He also serves as the Company’s Corporate Secretary. Mee first joined J.B. Hunt in 1992 as Vice President of Tax, ultimately going on to serve as the Company’s Senior Vice President of Tax and Risk Management before assuming his current role. He held various other positions in the intervening years, including a spell as Principal Accounting Officer. Mee is a certified public accountant and prior to joining J.B. Hunt worked in the Tax Department of professional services firm KPMG, leaving the company as a senior tax manager.
info: Stuart (“Scott”) joined J.B. Hunt in 2016 as its Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer. Scott is an experienced executive, with particular experience of the engineering and technology sectors. He began his career in 1987 at GE, where he served in various engineering, manufacturing, technology, and sales roles over the course of 12 years. In 1999 he joined Webvan as Vice President of Business Development, a role he held for just a year before moving to GE Consumer and Healthcare as Chief Information Officer. He went on to hold Chief Information Officer roles at GE Healthcare and Microsoft, before being appointed Chief Operating Officer at TB&W in 2007. Prior to joining J.B. Hunt, Scott served as Chief Information Officer at Tempur Sealy International.
Jobs at J.B. Hunt
3.756.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!