Careers at JM Smucker
JM Smucker produces and markets a range of consumer products, with a view to establishing its numerous brands as the market leaders in their respective fields.
JM Smucker organises its operations into three reportable business segments
- US Retail Coffee, primarily comprising the domestic sales of the Company’s Folgers, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Café Bustelo brands of coffee;
- US Retail Consumer Foods, primarily comprising the domestic sales of the Company’s various consumer food products, including its Jif, Smucker’s, Crisco, and Pillsbury branded products; and
- US Retail Pet Foods, primarily comprising the domestic sales of the Company’s pet food products, including its Meow Mix, Milk-Bone, Natural Balance, Kibbles ’n Bits, 9Lives, Pup-Peroni, Nature’s Recipe, and Gravy Train brands.
JM Smucker also operates an International and Foodservice segment, which comprises the domestic and international sale of the Company’s products to customers in the foodservice industry. This is not a reportable segment.
JM Smucker was founded in 1897 by Jerome Monroe Smucker, based around a cider mill that in Orrville. The Company was formally incorporated in company was incorporated in 1921, at which time it operated as a marketer and manufacturer of fruit spreads, peanut butter, shortening and oils, ice cream toppings, sweetened condensed milk, and health and natural foods and beverages under the name Smucker Company.
JM Smucker has grown substantially since the early 20th Century. It has diversified its product portfolio significantly to include coffee, pet food and treats, baking products, and donuts, cultivating a number of popular and high-profile brands, including Dunkin’ Donuts, Jif, Crisco, Pillsbury, and Folgers. The Company operates an extensive network of manufacturing and processing facilities across North America, serving customers across the US, Canada, Mexico, and China.
JM Smucker is today among the largest consumer food product manufacturers in North America. It is listed at 452nd on the Fortune 500 list, and trades a portion of its shares on the New York Stock Exchange. The Company has a current market capitalisation of $15.16 billion.
Benefits at JM Smucker
Business model of JM Smucker
JM Smucker provides a diverse range of products to a spectrum of customers, including various commercial entities. The Company’s customers can be divided broadly as follows:
- General Consumers, comprising the general consumer population who are served through the Company’s own consumer-facing outlets;
- Retail Customers, food retailers, food wholesalers, drug stores, club stores, mass merchandisers, discount and dollar stores, military commissaries, natural foods stores, consumer foods distributors, and pet specialty stores; and
- Foodservice Customers, foodservice distributors, restaurants, hotels and lodging, schools and universities, and healthcare operators.
JM Smucker serves a range of high-profile retail customers, with Walmart its largest customer, accounting for 30% of the Company’s net sales in 2016. During 2016, the Company’s top 10 customers, collectively, accounted for approximately 70% of consolidated net sales.
JM Smucker primarily serves a domestic customer base across the US. The Company does, however, serve international clients, including in Canada, China, and Mexico, with customers in Canada accounting for the majority of international sales.
JM Smucker provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its reputation and industry standing, with the Company established as a leading supplier of consumer food, coffee, and pet products, with a long history as a reliable and efficient provider of high-quality products;
- The strength of its brands, with the Company owning a number of popular, market leading brands across product categories, including Dunkin’ Donuts, Crisco, Pillsbury, and Meow Mix, which are established household names;
- The diversity of its product offerings, with the Company manufacturing and marketing a wide array of products, including coffee, pet food and treats, cooking oil, peanut butter, and baking products; and
- Its domestic and international reach, with the Company serving a large domestic customer base, having a brand presence across all 50 US states, as well as international penetration across markets such as China, Canada, and Mexico.
JM Smucker operates a website at www.jmsmucker.com, through which it provides information on its various products, brands, and history. The Company also operates an online store, through which general consumers can purchase a range of JM Smucker products across multiple brands. JM Smucker additionally serves consumers directly through physical retail outlets, notably its chain of Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants and cafes, and its JM Smucker Company Store and Café, which is located in Orville, Ohio.
JM Smucker makes sales to retail and foodservices customers through its in-house direct sales force, which is organised by operating division, as well as geographic region. The Company’s sales force operates out of the Company’s nine sales and administrative offices across the US, and one each in China, Canada, and Mexico. The Company also makes sales to retail and foodservice businesses through a network of brokers and intermediaries.
JM Smucker offers a full range of products, across multiple brands and product categories, to consumers on a self-service basis through its online store. This channel enables customers to browse products, make purchase, and schedule deliveries without interacting with members of the Company’s sales teams. The Company also operates largely self-service channels in the form of its Dunkin’ Donuts and JM Smucker retail outlets, where customers can purchase products with limited interaction with sales personnel.
JM Smucker makes retail and foodservice sales through its in-house sales force, the members of which consult directly with customers to establish the details of sales and distribution contracts. Large retail customers, such as Walmart, are afforded their own account management teams to ensure that all their needs are met. JM Smucker seeks to establish long-term relationships with these customers.
JM Smucker offers ongoing support to its customers, providing a range of contact details on its website for its various divisions, offices, and segments. Customers are able to contact support staff online or over the phone in order to receive tailored responses to queries and complaints. Additionally, JM Smucker, and many of its individual brands, operates several social media accounts, including with Facebook and LinkedIn.
JM Smucker is a manufacturer and marketer of branded food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks.
The Company organises its operations into three reportable business segments: US Retail Coffee, US Retail Consumer Foods, and US Retail Pet Foods. JM Smucker’s US retail market segments produce and sell branded food products to retail outlets across North America, including food wholesalers, drug stores, club stores, mass merchandisers, discount and dollar stores, military commissaries, natural foods stores and distributors, and pet specialty stores.
The Company also operates a non-reportable International and Foodservice segment, which sells products domestically and international to foodservice customers, such as restaurants, hotels, and schools.
JM Smucker operates in collaboration with a range of companies in order to efficiently manufacture, market and distribute its products. These partners include:
- Supplier Partners, comprising suppliers of raw materials and resources, including various commodities and agricultural products that are used in the manufacturing of the Company’s products – including green coffee, grains, peanuts, edible oils, sweeteners, and fruit - as well as materials such as plastic, glass, and cardboard to package the Company’s;
- Service and Vendor Partners, comprising suppliers of various services and tools that are utilised across the Company’s operating segments, as well as companies to which certain functions can be outsourced;
- Channel and Distribution Partners, comprising various sales and distribution intermediaries, including sales agents and brokers, that support the operations of the Company’s sales and marketing teams; and
- Community and Social Partners, comprising a range of non-profits and charitable organisations, with which the Company collaborates on various community and social projects.
JM Smucker has partnered with a range of organisation in recent years, including a partnership with The University of Akron UA Business Solutions on technology training projects, a charitable tie-up with Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and sponsorship partnerships with a number of US athletes at the Rio Olympic Games.
JM Smucker’s key resources are its brands and intellectual properties, its raw materials and supply chain, its IT and communications infrastructure, its manufacturing facilities, its distribution infrastructure, its physical and digital sales channels, its partnerships, and its personnel.
JM Smucker’s products are produced under various patents and marketed under trademarks owned or licensed by the Company or its subsidiaries. The Company owns a number of valuable brands, including Dunkin’ Donuts and Pillsbury. Searches of records published by the US Patent and Trademark Office identified a number of patent applications filed in the name of JM Smucker, including applications entitled ‘Package with peanut shaped window ‘, ‘Coated food product’ and ‘Bottle’.
JM Smucker own numerous properties that are key to the success of its operations, notably its manufacturing and distribution infrastructure. This includes 23 manufacturing and processing facilities, and 14 distribution centres across North America, as well as 12 sales and administrative offices across the North America and China.
JM Smucker incurs costs in relation to the procurement of commodities and materials, the operation of its manufacturing and processing facilities, the maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure, the operation of its sales and distribution infrastructure, the implementation of advertising and marketing campaigns, the management of its partnerships, and the retention of its personnel.
For the year ended 30th April 2016 JM Smucker recorded cost of products sold in the amount of $4.84 billion, and selling, distribution, and administrative expenses totaling $1.51 billion, including $170.30 million in advertising costs.
JM Smucker generates revenue through the production and sale of coffee, consumer food, and pet products. This includes sales made through the Company’s various sales channels, comprising its direct retail and foodservice sales force, its online sales portal, and its physical Dunkin’ Donuts and JM Smucker outlets.
For the year ended 30th April 2016 JM Smucker generated net sales of $7.81 billion, up on the $5.69 billion recorded by the Company the previous year. The Company’s revenue is generated relatively evenly by its three reportable business segments, all of which recorded net sales between $2.2 billion and $2.3 billion for the year. The Company’s International and Foodservice segment recorded $1.05 billion in net sales.
info: Mark Smucker (“Smucker”) has served as President of the JM Smucker since 2015, and has been the Company’s Chief Executive Officer since 2016. He has also been a member of the Company’s Board of Directors since 2009 and President of Consumer and Natural Foods since 2015. Smucker has been an officer of JM Smucker since 2001, and has held a number of senior roles, including President of US Retail Coffee, and President of Special Markets.
info: Mark Belgya (“Belgya”) has served as Vice Chairman at JM Smucker since 2016, and has served as the Company’s Chief Financial Officer since 2008. He has held a number of roles since joining the Company in 1985, including spells as Vice President, and Treasurer, and spells in the Company’s Government and Industry Affairs, Information Services, and Corporate Strategy departments. Prior to joining JM Smucker, Belgya worked for several years at Ernst and Whinney (now Ernst and Young.
info: Steven Oakland (“Oakland”) has served as Vice Chairman of JM Smucker since 2016, and has been the Company’s Vice President of US Food and Beverage since 2015. Oakland has worked at JM Smucker for more than 26years, serving a number of roles, including senior executive positions such as President of International, Foodservice and Natural Foods, President of US Retail - Smucker’s, Jif and Hungry Jack, and Vice President and General Manager of Consumer Oils and Baking.
Jobs at JM Smucker
1.539.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!