Careers at Quanta Services
Quanta provides a range of network and infrastructure solutions to customers operating in the power and oil and gas sectors, with a view to ensuring the efficient and reliable operation of infrastructure systems.
Quanta organises its operations into two reportable business segments:
- Electric Power Infrastructure Services, which provides various network solutions to customers in the electric power industry, including the design, installation, upgrade, repair and maintenance of electric power transmission and distribution infrastructure, including substation facilities, as well as other engineering and technical services, emergency restoration services, such as the repair of infrastructure damaged by inclement weather, the maintenance and upgrade of electric power infrastructure, and the installation of “smart grid” technologies on electric power networks; and
- Oil and Gas Infrastructure Services, which provides network solutions to customers involved in the development and transportation of natural gas, oil and other pipeline products, including the design, installation, repair and maintenance of pipeline transmission and distribution systems, gathering systems, production systems, storage systems and compressor and pump stations, as well as related trenching, directional boring and automatic welding services, pipeline protection, integrity testing, and rehabilitation solutions.
Quanta was established in 1997 by four leading contractors in the electric power and telecommunications sectors: PAR Electrical Contractors, Union Power, Potelco, and Trans Tech. The Company was formed with the intention of addressing, and developing new solutions for, the complex infrastructure needs experienced across various industries.
With the electric power industry experiencing considerable change in order to fall in line with deregulation, the founders anticipated a rise in the use of third-party operators to design, install, repair, and maintain power distribution and transmission networks.
This assertion proved accurate, and the Company expanded its operations quickly, generating more than $2 billion in revenue in 2000. The Company diversified its service offerings to address needs in the oil and gas industry, and developed a range of other specialty services. The Company is now among the largest providers of network and infrastructure services in the US, and has extended its service range to include customers in Canada and Australia.
Quanta is listed at 352nd on the Fortune 500 list and at 1,983rd on the Forbes Global 2000 list. The company trades a portion of its shares on the New York Stock Exchange and has a current market capitalisation of $4.76 billion.
Business model of Quanta Services
Quanta provides a range of network of services and solutions to a broad network of industrial and commercial customers. The Company’s clients can be organised into two principal categories:
- Power Sector, including energy generators, renewable energy businesses, power transmission companies, and power distribution and marketing companies; and
- Oil and Gas Sector, including national, multinational, and independent oil and gas production and exploration companies, as well as midstream and upstream oil and gas companies.
Quanta serves a number of high-profile customers across the energy sector. This includes well-known businesses such as ConocoPhillips, Shell, Con Edison Development, PG&E Corporation, and Duke Energy Corporation. The Company also serves certain government and public institutions, including the US Department of Defense.
Quanta’s principal market is its native US. The Company, however, also serves a number of international customers across Canada, and Australia, as well as other select international markets.
Quanta provides value to its customers in the following ways:
- Its reputation and industry standing, with the Company established as leading provider of network solutions to customers across the energy and oil and gas sectors, including a number of prominent names among its client base, such as the US Department of Defense, ConocoPhillips, and Shell;
- Its proprietary technologies, with the Company owing a portfolio of proprietary energised services tools, techniques, and design technologies that differentiate the Company’s service offerings from those of its competitors;
- Its international reach, with the Company serving a broad network of customers in its domestic market of the US, as well as a number of customers operating in Canada and Australia;
- Its industry expertise and experience, with the Company employing specialist technical personnel to work on its various solutions, as well as a team of experienced industry executives.
Quanta operates a website at www.quantaservices.com, through which it provides information on its various services, solutions, and operating units. The Company does not operate an online sales channel, nor does it provide an online customer portal through which clients can manage transactions.
Quanta make sales through its dedicated in-house sales force who deal directly with clients, subsequently providing specialist technical services through highly-trained, expert personnel. The Company’s sales and service teams are based at the Company’s various offices across the US, Canada, and Australia, including its corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas.
Quanta provides services to customers directly on-site, working closely with client representatives. The Company also operates a network of facilities across its operating jurisdictions, including equipment yards, warehouses, storage spaces, and vehicle shops.
The technical nature of Quanta’s various solutions does not allow for it to provide services to its customers on a self-service basis. The Company, instead, provides services directly to its clients through its teams of sales and service personnel. Quanta consults directly with client of a period of time in order to jointly establish a detailed and exhaustive brief covering the aims, requirements, and limitations of each individual project. The Company typically provides solutions on a project-by-project basis, with the quality of its services intended to encourage recurring business.
Quanta provides ongoing technical support services to its customers. The company’s large clients are provided their own account management teams, with which they work closely throughout the duration of each project. Customers are alternatively able to make specific enquiries and queries with the Company over the phone or via email in order to receive personalised assistance. Additionally, Quanta provides various resources through its website, including press releases and safety information.
Quanta also operates social media accounts with Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn through which it is able to keep clients updated with corporate developments and interact with customers directly.
Quanta is an international provider of specialty contracting services, principally comprising a range of network and infrastructure solutions designed to support customers in the electric power and oil and gas industries.
The Company aligns its operations into two reportable business segments: Electric Power Infrastructure Services, which provides a range of network solutions relating to the design and maintenance of power transmission and distribution infrastructure, and provides other engineering services; and Oil and Gas Infrastructure Services, which provides a range of network solutions related to the development and transportation of natural gas, oil and other pipeline products.
Quanta’s solutions span the entire lifecycle of power and oil and gas infrastructure, including design, installation, upgrade, maintenance, and repair. The Company principally serves customers in the US, Canada, and Australia, as well as in certain other jurisdictions around the world.
Quanta works in conjunction with a broad range of companies and organisations across its two operating segments. The Company’s partners can be organised broadly into two the following categories:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, including suppliers of equipment, tools, and materials used in the Company’s various infrastructure projects, as well as suppliers of services and technologies that support the Company’s operations more broadly across both operating segments;
- Contracting Partners, including various contracting and engineering companies that provides services in support of the Company’s various power and oil and gas infrastructure projects around the world;
- Joint Venture Partners, including various infrastructure, engineering, and construction companies with which the Company jointly provides services and solutions through mutually owned entities in various jurisdictions; and
- Strategic and Alliance Partners, including market leading companies across multiple sectors, with which the Company collaborates in joint marketing, branding and other projects.
Quanta has launched a number of partnerships in recent years. This includes a joint venture construction project with Eurus Energy, a training and education partnership with Sam Houston State University’s Department of Agricultural Sciences and Engineering Technology, and a construction venture with ATCO Group.
Quanta’s key resources are its technologies and intellectual properties, its tools and equipment, its IT and communications infrastructure, its storage and equipment facilities, its office network, its partnerships, and its personnel.
Quanta utilises a number of patented products and proprietary technologies in the design, installation, and development of its infrastructure projects. Searches of records published by the US Patent and Trademark Office identified a number of patent applications filed in Quanta’s name, including applications entitled ‘Cutting blade apparatus and methods’, ‘Grout for filling a micro-trench’ and ‘Aggregation of customer transaction data’.
Quanta additionally owns and or leases a network of physical properties that are key to its operations. This includes the Company’s various sales and administrative offices, and storage, warehouse, vehicle shops, and equipment facilities, as well as its various vehicles, trailers, trucks, and construction equipment.
Quanta incurs costs in relation to the development of its technologies and solutions, the procurement of equipment of supplies, the procurement of services, the maintenance of its physical infrastructure, the maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure, the operation of its sales channels, the management of its partnerships, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2015 Quanta recorded total cost of services in the amount of $6.65 billion, and selling, general, and administrative costs – including the payment of compensation to the Company’s workforce of 24,500 employees, as well as marketing, office rent, utilities, communications costs – totalling $592.86 million.
Quanta generates revenue through the provision of various network and infrastructure services to customers in the power and oil and gas sectors, primarily in the US, Canada, and Australia. The Company’s revenue is principally derived in the form of unit price or fixed price agreements with its customers, agreed mostly on a project-by-project basis.
In 2015 Quanta generated annual revenue in the amount of $7.57 billion, down marginally on the $7.74 billion recorded by the Company the previous year. The majority of the Company’s revenue was generated by its Electric Power Infrastructure segment, which recorded revenue for the year totalling $4.94 billion. The Company’s Oil and Gas Infrastructure segment generated $2.64 billion.
info: Earl Austin (“Austin”) serves as Chief Executive Officer, President, and Chief Operating Officer at Quanta, overseeing the operations and strategic direction of the Company and its operating units. He also sits on the Company’s Board of Directors. Austin also serves on the Board of Directors at the Southwest Line Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association Austin is a long-serving Quanta employee. He has been a member of Quanta’s senior executive team since 2009, playing a significant role in the Company’s growth. He previously served as President of Quanta’s Electric Power and Natural Gas and Pipeline Divisions, and President of North Houston Pole Line, a Quanta operating unit.
info: Derrick Jensen (“Jensen”) has served as Chief Financial Officer at Quanta since 2012. He is responsible for leading the Company’s various financial units, including its audit, tax, accounting, and investor relations operations. Jensen is a long-serving Quanta employee. He first joined the Company in 1997 as Controller, a role he held for more than ten years. He also held other senior financial management positions, including a spell as Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer. Prior to joining Quanta, Jensen obtained his public accountant certification. He worked at accounting firm Arthur Andersen, where he served in various management roles, primarily dealing with the Company’s commercial clients.
info: Dale Querrey has served as President of Electric Power at Quanta since 2015, leading the Company’s power generation operations. He also sits on the Company’s Board of Directors. Querrey joined Quanta in 2004, taking on various roles at the Company’s PAR Electrical Contractors subsidiary. He held a number of roles at PAR Electrical Contractors and across Quanta more broadly before assuming his current positions, including a sell as Chief Operating Officer of PAR Electrical Contractors from 2008 to 2011. Prior to joining Quanta, Querrey served in a range of positions at ABB Inc and its affiliates, including a spell as ABB Inc’s Vice President of Operations from 2002 to 2004.
Jobs at Quanta Services
1.395.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!