Careers at Violin Memory
Violin Memory seeks to deliver effective, efficient, and reliable digital memory products and solutions to commercial customers across the financial services, healthcare, and communications industries.
Violin Memory was founded in 2005 by Donpaul Stephens and Jon Bennett. The Company was launched with the intention of bringing efficient and effective digital storage solutions to commercial customers across multiple industries.
Violin Memory is one of the largest providers of flash memory solutions in the US. The Company offers an extensive portfolio of products and solutions, including a dedicated storage platform, and serves clients an international client base, including customers across the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe. The Company maintains offices in China, Singapore, the UK, and South Korea.
Violin Memory listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 2013, raising a reported $162 million in its initial public offering at a price of $9 per share. The Company was de-listed form the exchange, however, in 2016 because its market capitalisation had fallen below $15 million. The Company subsequently listed on the OTC Markets group exchange and has a current market capitalization of around $420,000.
Benefits at Violin Memory
Business model of Violin Memory
Violin Memory provides a broad range of digital storage products and solutions to commercial enterprises across multiple business sectors. The Company’s customers can be organise broadly into the following categories:
- Financial Services, including retail and commercial banking institutions, asset and investment management firms, insurance companies, capital markets operators, and other financial services providers;
- Healthcare, including healthcare providers, medical service companies, and healthcare payer organisations;
- Communications, including telecommunications service providers, cloud and internet service providers, and other communications enterprises; and
- Other Commercial Enterprises, including various commercial entities across multiple sectors, such as the retail, energy, and corporate sectors.
Violin Memory has served a number of well-known clients. This includes organisations such as KIND Hearing, Ferrellgas, the San Francisco 49ers, Bank of America, Toshiba, Verizon Wireless, Equinix, and Valley Health Care.
Violin Memory is based in the US, which is the Company’s principal market. The Company, however, also serves an international client base across the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe.
Violin Memory provides value to its clients in the following ways:
- Its reputation and industry standing, with the Company established as reliable and popular provider of flash storage products and solutions, as evidenced by its ability to secure business from high-profile companies across multiple sectors;
- Its broad portfolio of service offerings, with the Company offering a varied range of products and services, including industry-specific solutions for the financial services, healthcare and communications industries;
- Its international sales reach, with the Company serving an extensive domestic client base in the US, as well as numerous clients in international markets across the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe;
- Its proprietary technologies, with the Company developing and utilising a range of proprietary technologies in the delivery of its products and solutions, making its service offerings unique within the industry; and
- Its industry expertise and experience, with the Company employing specialist personnel across its operating units, as well as a team of experienced industry executives.
Violin Memory operates a website at www.violin-memory.com, through which it provides information on its products and services, target industries, and operating regions. The Company does not operate an online sales channel, nor does it provide an online customer portal.
Violin Memory primarily makes sales to customers through its in-house direct sales force, which is organised by geographic region. The Company’s sales personnel deal directly with clients and operate out of the Company’s network of sales and administrative offices, including locations in New York, North Carolina, China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and the UK.
Violin Memory additionally makes sales through a network of channel and distribution partners, including distributors and resellers. The Company also works with technology partners and systems integrators to integrate and market its products with third party solutions.
The Company then works with technology and systems integrator partners to co-market solutions and offer joint services and support to customers.
Violin Memory does not make sales to its customers on a self-service basis. Instead, the Company makes sales through its in-house direct sales force, with its individual sales representatives consulting closely with clients to understand the individual requirements and assist customers in determining which of its products best satisfies those requirements. For its large customers, the Company establishes dedicated account management teams that manage the relationship with the customer.
Violin Memory offers ongoing support to its customers, who are able to contact dedicated support personnel over the phone or via email in order to access personalised technical assistance. The Company also provides a range of online support resources – including FAQs, white papers, case studies, datasheets, analyst reports, and videos – that clients can access independently through the Company’s website.
Additionally, Violin Memory operates social media accounts with YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, through which the Company interacts directly with its customers and publishes company updates.
Violin Memory offers a range of flash-based storage products and solutions, aiming to bring storage performance in line with high-speed applications, servers and networks.
The Company's offers a range of cloud-based solutions, including its Flash Storage Platform, which is designed to bring efficiency to the storage systems of commercial entities across multiple industries, including the healthcare, financial services, and communications industries. The Company is based in the US, but also serves an extensive international client base across the Americas, Europe, and Asia Pacific, maintaining offices in the UK, China, Singapore, and South Korea.
Violin Memory works in close collaboration with a network of partners spanning multiple industries. These partners can be organised broadly into the following categories:
- Supplier and Vendor Partners, comprising suppliers of products, services, and equipment that are utilised across the Company’s operating units in support of its core development and implementation operations;
- Channel and Distribution Partners, comprising the Company’s network of value added resellers, systems integrators, and distributors that assist in extending the reach of the Company’s own in-house sales force, particularly in certain international markets;
- Technology Partners, comprising various specialist technology and software companies that assist in the development, maintenance and delivery of effective, high-quality storage solutions; and
- Strategic and Alliance Partners, including a number of market leading companies across multiple sectors, with which the Company collaborates on joint projects, including in marketing, branding, and development.
Violin Memory has a number of key partnerships in place. This includes tie-ups with a number of high-profile technology companies, including Dell, Toshiba, Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, Lenovo, IBM, SAP, Citrix, Oracle, and VMWare.
Violin Memory’s key resources are its proprietary technologies and intellectual properties, its cloud storage platform and storage solutions, its IT and communications infrastructure, its sales and distribution channels, its partnerships, and its personnel.
Violin Memory utilises a range of proprietary technologies relating to solid-state storage, solid-state memory, software acceleration, and related technologies. According to its annual report, the Company has 45 issued patents and 50 provisional and non-provisional patent applications in the US and 65 issued or allowed patents and 38 corresponding patent applications in foreign jurisdictions, including Patent Cooperation Treaty applications, as of 31st January 2016.
Violin Memory also owns and or leases a number physical properties around the world that comprise its sales and administrative office network, including locations across the US, Singapore, the UK, China, and South Korea.
Violin Memory incurs costs in relation to the development of its proprietary technologies and storage solutions, the maintenance of its IT and communications infrastructure, the procurement of services and equipment, the operation of its sales and distribution channels, the implementation of marketing and advertising campaigns, and the retention of its personnel.
In 2016 Violin Memory recorded total operating expenses in the amount of $114.48 million. This included sales and marketing expenses in the amount of $55.62 million, research and development expenses in the amount of $41.70 million, and general and administrative expenses in the amount of 17.17 million.
Violin Memory generates revenue through the development and sale of various flash storage products and solutions to commercial entities across multiple business sectors. The Company derives revenue in the form of products sales and under service contracts that are agreed on case-by-case basis.
In 2016 Violin Memory generated revenue for the year in the amount of $50.87 million, down considerably on the $78.98 million recorded by the Company in 2015. The Company’s revenue was attributed relatively evenly to products sales, which amounted to $27.34 million, and the provision of services, which amounted to $23.53 million.
info: Kevin has served as President and Chief Executive Officer at Violin Memory since joining the Company in 2014. He is responsible for leading the Company’s overall strategic direction. DeNuccio is an experienced executive within the communications and technology space. In 1992 he co-founded Bell Atlantic Network Integration, where he served as Chief Executive Officer for more than three years. In 1995 he joined Cisco Systems as Senior Vice President, a role he held for more than six years, following which he served as President and Chief Executive Officer at Redback Networks. Prior to joining Violin Memory, DeNuccio served from 2010 to 2012 as President and Chief Executive Officer at Metaswitch Networks.
info: Cory has served as Chief Financial Officer at Violin Memory since joining the Company in 2011. He is responsible for overseeing the operations of the Company’s various financial units, including its investor relations and accounting departments. Sindelar is an accountant by training, beginning his career in 1991 as a senior accountant at Arthur Andersen. In 1995 he joined C-Cube Microsystems as Sales Controller, a role he held for just over three years before joining PricewaterhouseCoopers as a senior audit manager. Between 2000 and 2006 Sindelar served in senior finance roles at Legato Systems and EMC Corporation, following which he held consecutive Chief Financial Officer roles at Ikanos Communications and Kilopass Technology.
info: Ebrahim has served as Chief Operating Officer at Violin Memory since joining the Company in 2014. He takes responsibility for much of the Company’s day-to-day management. Abbasi has held a number of executive roles within the technology and communications industries. From 1997 to 2000 he was Vice President of Access Products Operations at Ascend Communications. He went on to serve as Vice President of Operations at Zhone Technologies briefly, before being appointed Senior Vice President of Operations at Redback Networks in 2001. Abbasi spent three years as President and Chief Operating Officer at Force10 Networks, and prior to joining Violin Memory served as President at Roamware.
Jobs at Violin Memory
1.532.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!