Top Companies in Anderson
Jobs in Anderson, IN
Located just 40 miles northeast from Indianapolis lies Anderson, a city of around 55,000 people. Anderson is said to be named after Native American Chief William Anderson, who was one of the first settlers in the area.
Anderson’s economy is primarily driven by the healthcare sector, while manufacturing, a historically strong industry in Indiana, ranks as a distant second.
If you’re looking for employment in manufacturing, however, it’s important to note that the industry has been in a state of decline all across the midwest.
Ever since the 1980s, increased global competition and major shifts in the global economy have caused the disintegration of Anderson’s many industrial sites.
Anderson’s “Bright” Economy
This decline of the city’s economic lifeblood, along with the events of the 2008 recession, left Anderson with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.
Things are starting to improve for the city, however, and Anderson’s economy is said to be brightening. Experts have recently applauded the city’s rising employment rates, which are almost at record lows.
Job numbers are also returning close to pre-recession levels and average wages are improving. In addition, there’s also higher real estate demand in Anderson.
The city isn’t completely out of the woods, as experts are projecting some turbulent times for Anderson’s manufacturing and agriculture sectors as a result of the US’ ongoing trade war with China.
High Crime Rates
If you’re looking to move to Anderson, a common thread you’ll stumble upon is its exceptionally high crime rates. Indeed, this low-to-middle income city has one of the highest crime rates in Indiana - or the US, for that matter.
Living in Anderson means your chances of becoming a victim of violent crimes or property crimes is 1 in 21, which are absolutely abysmal odds for potential job seekers with families.
And the crime rate is increasing still. Local police are said to be stepping up their patrols and hosting more crime watch meetings to engage the local communities to combat the issue.
Pros and Cons of Living in Anderson
- Anderson’s cost-of-living is 30% lower than the US average.
- An average home in Anderson costs around $59,000 - that’s 74.4% lower than the national average!
- Live right next door to Indianapolis, the state’s largest metropolitan city.
- Anderson’s risk of tornadoes is much higher than the Indiana average.
- The ongoing US trade war with China is causing uncertainty in several sectors of Anderson’s economy.
- Stay safe! Anderson has one of the highest crime rates in the country.
Major Attractions of Anderson
- Paramount Theater: Catch a play in Anderson’s historic amphitheater.
- Gruenewald Historic House: Visit Anderson’s Victoria era preserved in this historic building-turned-museum.
- Mounds State Park: This park features unique structures built by prehistoric Indians, some believed to have been constructed around 160BC.
- Anderson Speedway: Head to the Anderson Speedway to get a taste of Indiana’s popular Saturday night races.