Jobs in Bangor, Maine, United States
Branded as the ‘Queen City’ of Maine, Bangor is a prosperous lumber, paper and shipping town. The surrounding region is densely wooded with both coniferous and deciduous trees. The year is characterized by distinct seasons with freezing winters and warm summer temperatures.
Cost of living
If you consider moving here be ready to pay some extra dollars. The cost of living in the city is relatively expensive. The cost of acquiring services and purchasing goods is high. Similarly, to obtain medical services, you’ll have to pay more than the national average. Transportation is also an added expense if you’ll be using public means.
Nevertheless, housing in the city is affordable. Houses average a value of about $147,400 while tenants pay an average rent of $742. You should consult with the local real estate agents to get the best deal and identify the best locations to live in Bangor.
Economy and employment opportunities
The major employers in the city are as listed below:
- Service and retail industry- The town has various companies in this sector. They include Hannaford Supermarkets, Wal-Mart, NexxLinx center and Bangor Savings Bank.
- Healthcare- Modern hospitals are found within the city. You could apply for a job at the Acadia Hospital, Eastern Maine Medical Center or St. Joseph’s Healthcare.
- Education sector- Education plays a key role in the city’s economy. The University of Maine is located here, and it employs a majority of the locals both at professional and subordinate positions.
- Manufacturing- Engineers can find jobs at General Electric.
- Finance- These are majorly banks such as the Bangor’s Savings Bank which is the city’s largest independent bank.
Despite the numerous employment opportunities in the area, the town also struggles with employment. However, the unemployment rate is lower compared to most cities in the state and the country. Jobs are predicted to grow over the next few years.
Notable events and points of interest
In as much as the locals are industrious, they cherish their leisure and culture. The Bangor State Fair is one of the oldest events in the city which is celebrated annually. During the event, agricultural exhibitions and live performances are held. You can visit the Bangor Historical Society, Maine Discovery Museum and the University of Maine Museum to get a feel of the city’s history. Another eye-catching aspect of Bangor is its buildings which most of them are enlisted in the country’s historic places.
1.047.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!