Top Companies in Bloomington
- Symmetry Financial Group (17)
- Cook Group (17)
- Mile High Adjusters (16)
- Indiana University Health (13)
- U.S. Xpress Enterprises, Inc. (12)
- CyberCoders (11)
- Starbucks (11)
- Allstate Insurance (10)
- Bloomin' Brands (9)
- GHR Travel Nursing (9)
- Hanapin Marketing (9)
- Help At Home, LLC (9)
- Bankers Life (9)
- ResourceMFG (9)
- SpartanNash (8)
Jobs in Bloomington, IN
Voted as one of the best cities for work-life balance by Forbes Magazine, Bloomington is an idyllic city traversing through lush hills and burgeoning urban landscapes.
Home to the famous Indiana University, Bloomington is a buzzing town of students, artists, scientists, musicians, farmers, business people, athletes and much more.
The people of Bloomington are often highly educated with several professional, technical and scientific organizations thriving in the area. The city is a melting pot of ethnicities and cultures and is popular for its many art, music and theater exhibits.
The cost of living is a bit higher comparatively, but don’t let that pull you down! Bloomington offers services such as healthcare, transportation, utilities and more at a value 100 with housing higher ranking higher on the list.
The economy experienced a slowdown of -1.7% in 2018 but is touted to grow in the next few years with many businesses and startups on the rise in the city.
If you would like to experience the seasonal beauty of spring, summer, fall and winter, Bloomington is the place to be.
The National Arbor Day Foundation has recognized Bloomington for its dedicated to its community forestry programs with the Tree City U.S.A designation for more than three decades.
Bloomington has been featured as of the ‘Best Cities for Entrepreneurs’ and ‘Top 100 Best Places to Live’.
The Pros and Cons of Living and Working in Bloomington
- The friendly and diverse community inhabiting Bloomington make the city worth living. Appreciation for the arts, culture and music draws many events, so you are hardly ever bored around here. The National Geographic has labeled Bloomington as one of America’s best adventure towns! If you are one for adventure, you can take your pick from a variety of options like biking, kayaking, camping, skiing and lots more.
- Being a student town, the city has lots to choose from shopping malls, hiking trails, local markets to a bustling nightlife and some fantastic brews.
- Businesses are up and coming in the area with a growing startup culture in the city. The influence stems from Indiana University which has paved the way for tech, IT, venture capitalism and more. A number of accelerator programs such as B-Start have been engaging startups actively.
- Technology is thriving in Bloomington and is richly supported by the government and Indiana University. A one of a kind school in the U.S.A, School for Informatics has been established to boost and encourage high quality of technical professionals.
- Bloomington as a job market offers a range of opportunities. You can be an entrepreneur, technologist, remote worker, innovator, there’s something for everyone. Small businesses are flourishing and the startup boom is taking over which means new roles are being created to suit a variety of skill-sets.
- If you are coming from an urban city, the hustle and bustle may take a backseat at Bloomington with its comfortable and laid-back lifestyle.
- Bloomington provides a range of services however housing is expensive. The cost of living is slightly higher yet lower than most cities in the US. The indices are within the range of 100 on a US average.
- Indiana University has set the bar high and the job market is pretty competitive. To secure a job in Bloomington, one must have a solid resume in tow and be mentally prepared to face rejection.
Fun Things to Do in Bloomington
Here is a list of popular attractions and places to visit in the city:
- Eskenazi Museum of Art at Indiana University is a premier art museum that is famous throughout the country. The museum has over 45,000 pieces of art that include paintings by Picasso, Monet and lots more.
- Indiana University Jacobs School of Music hosts a variety of programs, workshops and events. Make sure to catch some famous acts such as The Nutcracker, The Barber of Seville.
- Monroe Lake is a beautiful location filled with trees and perfect for fishing, boating, kayaking. An ideal recreational spot to enjoy the great outdoors of Bloomington.
- Oliver Winery & Vineyards is a gorgeous getaway for some delectable wine and food. You can tour around the vineyards and learn the process of winemaking here.
- Fountain Square Mall is located in central downtown packed with trendy shops and services. An array of locally owned restaurants and bistros can be explored at the mall.
- Buskirk-Chumley Theater is a unique Spanish-revival-style theater that hosts shows and performances from Bloomington and around the country. Make sure you catch a show or two here!