Jobs in Columbia, Tennessee, United States
Columbia is a city located in the US State of Tennessee. It is located in Maury County, where it also serves as the county seat.
The city has a population of around 35,500 inhabitants.
Historic City, Low Cost
The city is nicknamed the “Mule Capital of the world,” and hosts an annual festival every April celebrating all things Mule related. The festival takes place over 4 days and includes music, dancing and, of course, mules. More than 200,000 attend the festival.
The city also boasts an eclectic mix of old and new. Whilst modern office complexes and low-rise apartments dot the skyline, the city also has the highest percentage of pre-civil war buildings in the state. This provides a pleasant mixture of architecture.
Home ownership stands as 56%, with the average rent on the remaining 44% of property standing at $682 per month – over $250 lower than the national average.
The city has many shops and restaurants, both in the historic city center “square” and also in the downtown retail district. Restaurants selling soul food are particularly common and popular.
The local education system is average at best, with a few exceptions and crime is relatively high – however living costs are low, leading to a growth of residents in recent years, many moving out of Nashville looking for better property values.
· Median Age: 35.8
· Median Household Income: $36,426
· Median Property Value: $118,400
· Poverty Rate: 23.2%
· Cost of Living: 3% lower than state average, 13% lower than national average
· Unemployment Rate: 2.9%
· Crime Rate: 26% higher than national average
Nashville is less than an hour drive away, so many residents of Columbus work there, commuting each day.
The city itself has a strong local jobs market, with jobs growth at around 4% over the past several years.
Most people work in administrative roles – this type of job makes up over 17% of all the jobs in town, followed by sales at 10%, food and service at 9%, management level and education related roles (both at 6%) and construction at 5%.
Healthcare and social care is the largest employing industry, with 18% of all jobs connected to this. Retail is next at 14%, manufacturing at 13%, Education and food service are both at 9%.
1.035.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!