Most popular jobs in Houston
Top Companies in Houston
- Robert Half (473)
- CyberCoders (408)
- Houston Methodist (290)
- HCA Healthcare (256)
- Jacobs (210)
- Starbucks (174)
- Baker Hughes (169)
- Insperity (168)
- HEB (137)
- OneStaff Medical (119)
- Associates Systems LLC (116)
- INTERVIEWING NOW (115)
- Torchy's Tacos (110)
- APN Software Services Inc (98)
- Brinker International (86)
Jobs in Houston
Affectionately known as H-Town, Houston is one of the US’ most vibrant cities to work in. Culturally progressive with a thriving economy, the city ranks third in the country for its population growth rates.
Home to twenty-two companies on the 2019 Fortune 500 list, the city’s strategic location and world-class infrastructure make it a vibrant hub for job seekers from a variety of industries.
When you couple its robust job market with impressive affordability, diversity, great food, art, and its temperate climate, it’s no surprise that Houston attracts a young and well-educated crowd.
“America’s City of the Future”
Houston was dubbed “America’s City of the Future” in a recent study, which lauded the city’s international migration, job opportunities, and affordable cost-of-living.
In fact, Houston is the third most affordable city among the country’s 20 biggest metros, with living costs 4% below the national average.
In addition to cost-of-living, Houston is rife with opportunity. As leaders in energy, healthcare, manufacturing, engineering, finance, and aeronautics, the city ranked second-highest in job growth among the US’ 20 biggest metros.
A Beacon of Diversity for the US
Leave what you’ve heard about Texan culture at the door. This progressive city is well-regarded as the most ethnically diverse metropolitan area in the US, with a large African-American representation, the third-largest Hispanic demographic in the country, as well as a strong Asian population.
With over 145 languages spoken here, Houston’s melting pot of cultures make it a great option for job seekers.
The city offers a thriving arts scene, a variety of food, festivals, shops, and neighborhoods that reflect its kaleidoscope of global influences.
- Houston boasts one of the best cost-of-living standards in the US.
- Its welcoming, progressive and diverse culture.
- Your health is in good hands - the Texas Medical Center in Houston is widely regarded as the largest medical complex in the world.
- Houston is widely regarded as the “dining-out-capital” of the US, with more than 10,000 restaurants from over 70 different countries and American regions.
- Great job opportunities for health care, government, accommodation & food services, manufacturing, trade, and construction in 2020 and beyond.
- Be prepared to be stuck in traffic. Houston commuters spend an average of 75 hours as a result of traffic congestion - the highest in the State.
- Houston has a reputation for its high crime rates, with over 1,000 incidents per 100,000 residents, the highest in Texas.
- Be prepared to roll-up your sleeves in a fast-paced and competitive environment. A 2015 report ranked Houston fourth among cities in the US with the longest workweeks.
- While the winters are warmer in Houston, the heat and humidity of the city’s summer season might be too much to bear for some.
- While the city does not impose a state income tax, there’s higher property taxes and an 8.25% sales tax for most purchases.
Major Attractions of Houston
- Space Center Houston: Geek out at the visitor center of the world’s greatest space agency, NASA. Get inside replicas of space stations, shuttles, or check out NASA mission control at the iconic Johnson Space Center.
- Museum District: Houston’s Museum District is home to 19 museums, among them the famed Museum of Fine Arts, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, and the Holocaust Museum.
- Houston Zoo: Located in the Museum District, the Houston Zoo has over 6,000 exotic and indigenous animals to delight wildlife enthusiasts.
- Catch a game: Living in Houston isn’t complete if you haven’t caught a sports game, and there are plenty to choose from. The city is home to the two-time NBA Champions, the Houston Rockets.