Most popular jobs in Indianapolis
Top Companies in Indianapolis
- Robert Half (225)
- Comlux (164)
- Aerotek (117)
- CyberCoders (111)
- BCforward (94)
- Wendy's (93)
- Indiana University Health (90)
- Planet Fitness (82)
- OneStaff Medical (77)
- Symmetry Financial Group (76)
- Starbucks (74)
- Bloomin' Brands (74)
- Community Health Network (68)
- Gecko Hospitality (61)
- RN Staff Inc. (57)
Jobs in Indianapolis, IN
Indianapolis, fondly referred to as Indy, is situated in the landlocked state of Indiana. It is home to the Indianapolis 500, the world’s oldest car race, held annually in the city.
Indianapolis has been termed as the countries biggest small towns and offers residents a balanced life of city and residential living.
It is a glorious plethora of green spaces and parks to connect the city to the more suburban areas. It has created greenways to encourage a growing community of cyclists to use to get in and out of the city.
If you are a sports fan, this is the city for you. Indy is known to be a bustling sports city which hosts some of the largest single day sporting events in the world. Apart from the world-renowned motorsports, you can expect to catch widely popular football, basketball and golf events.
Low Cost Living For a Great Quality of Life
With a population of 1.9 million in the main metro, the city offers a wide spread of people who have sought out the laid back life of the city.
The population mostly consists of younger generations who are seeking out the low cost of living to build up their careers.
Some of the biggest industries that are offering opportunities to job seekers are in the auto, life sciences, transport and IT fields.
Indianapolis has been ranked 38th out of 125 places to live in the US. The average age group of the population is around 36, and the average home price range falls in at around $173,700.
The cost of living is extremely low in Indianapolis, with real estate being incredibly affordable for young people kicking off their careers.
Restaurants and food costs are known to be significantly lower than that on the East Coast and there is a growing selection of places to eat out in the city.
Pros and Cons of Living in Indianapolis
- The low cost of living in Indianapolis is one of the biggest draw cards of the city. On top of that, there are plenty of job opportunities to choose from as the employment rate is currently up by 3.2%;
- The city is safe, clean and perfect to walk around. It is green and filled with open spaces to enjoy;
- The city has been growing substantially over the last few years. There has been vast development and the food and craft beer scenes have started expanding to appeal to the young population residing in the city and surrounds.
- The biggest con is the traffic and transport system. The infrastructure and public transport system can be extremely frustrating as it is not designed optimally for city living. Traffic into the city from neighbouring suburbs can be heavy with long delays. In the city, you are encouraged to walk or bike around the city, rather than take transport;
- There is very little cultural scene in Indy. With most of the focus of the city on the Indy 500, there is little more in terms of a social scene in the city;
- Brutal weather can be expected in both summer and winter. Winters can drop down to temperatures of around 30F while summers can be hot, humid and sticky, sitting around the 75F marks.
Major Attractions in Indianapolis
- The Indianapolis 500: This is the largest drawcard to this green city. The annual event is considered as the Grand Prix of the US and draws in hundreds of thousands of tourists to the popular event.
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art: The museum lies north of the city in the Newlands park and is housed in the four pavilions: Krannert, Hulman, Lilly and Clowes Pavillions.
- The Children’s Museum, Indianapolis: For a fun day out, this is the ideal place to take your family. It is an innovative space dedicated to learning for all ages.