Jobs in Midland, Texas, United States
Midland is a city located in the US State of Texas. It is found in Midland County, where the city is also the county seat.
The city has a population of around 132,000 making it the 23rd most populous city in the state.
Originally founded as the mid point in the Texas and Pacific Railroad between Fort Worth and El Paso, the city experienced rapid growth in the 1920’s after the discovery close by of several extensive oil fields.
The downtown cityscape is dominated by high rise office complexes, such as the 24 storey bank of America Tower, leading the nickname “the Tall City” to be bestowed on Midland.
The city is home to a number of galleries, theatres, local orchestras and performing arts groups and spaces as well as a number of museums.
The city has a suburban feel, and home ownership stands at 65%. The remaining 35% of rental properties have an average monthly rent of $1,094 – slightly higher than national average.
The city has several parks and outdoor recreation sites, and an excellent local school district. Broadly, there is less recreation in terms of bars shopping and restaurants than you may expect in a city this size – it is friendly, but quiet.
· Median Age: 32
· Median Household Income: $69,173
· Median Property Value: $171,700
· Poverty Rate: 9.3%
· Cost of Living: 9% higher than state average, 2% lower than national average
· Unemployment Rate: 2.8%
· Crime Rate: 4% lower than national average
Today the city produces around 1/5th of the US’s total petroleum and natural gas output. The local industry therefore still dominated by the petroleum industry, however the city has attempted to diversify the workforce in recent years.
Regional communication and distribution have grown in recent years as large employing sectors. The local job market is strong, with 4.5% year on year growth.
Around 19% of all jobs are connected to the petroleum industry. The next biggest employing sectors are retail at 11%, healthcare at 10% and education at 8% of all job roles.
Construction (7%) and transport (5%) are also big employing sectors in the city.
1.623.000+ job opportunitiesStart here!