Tips for Using Indeed.com to Job Search: Guide to Indeed Jobs, Salary Information and Resume Posting
When it comes to succeeding in your job hunt, you have to use all the tools you can get your hands on. In order to boost your chances, it’s a good idea to utilize different job platforms with Indeed.com being one of the world’s biggest.
The platform was launched in 2004 and it has over 200 million monthly users in 60 different countries around the world. It allows employers to list directly with its platform or you might find job postings the site has scouted from across the web on the platform.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to:
- Register with the platform
- Use it to search for jobs
- Look for salary information
- Upload your resume on the platform for employers to find it.
HOW TO REGISTER WITH INDEED
To make the most of the jobsite, you definitely want to make an account with them. Note that this isn’t mandatory – you can search jobs without an account.
But by registering with the site, you will find it easier to make the most of the different functions.
Registering with Indeed is simple and it’s free! Here is a step-by-step guide to creating an account with the platform:
- Visit indeed.com and click the Sign In button on the top right corner of the front page.
- You’ll see an option to sign in and below it a text that says, ”Not a member? Create an account free”. Click that hyperlink.
- You then have two options for creating the account:
- Fill in the information by yourself:
- Your email address (you need to re-type it)
- Your desired password
- Register with your Google or Facebook account by clicking the chosen option
- Fill in the information by yourself:
- You might have to check your email and click a confirmation link, especially if you signed manually.
- Your account is now created and you can start using the services.
Now, next time you want to use the service you can click the Sign In button at the top corner and log in with your account information.
If you ever feel like getting away from the platform for good, you can close your account. Simply sign in and click on the “Close my Account” link.
You will them notice a confirmation window asking if you really want to close your account. If you do, you can click the “OK” button. The action is irreversible but you can always create a new account – the old information, along with the CVs just won’t be available.
USING INDEED JOBS EFFECTIVELY
The online platform has plenty of tools to help you find jobs. If you want to ensure your job hunt is as effective as possible, here are tips on how to use the Jobs section.
How to use the search to find jobs
Indeed has thousands of job postings available for a range of industries. Finding the job postings that are the best match for you is important – it saves you time and money.
Find jobs and narrow your search
Start by using the website to find your dream jobs. When you are on the front page, you will see a big box in the centre asking for what kind of jobs you are looking for. Here are the steps to perform a quick search:
- Click the What box and type a description of the job you want. You can write the job title, the employer’s name or a specific skill here.
- Click on the Where box and type in the city, the state/province/country or the postal code where you’d like the job to be.
- Press Enter on your keyboard or click the Find Jobs
The search engine will conduct the search based on your criteria and present you with job postings. You’ll see how to examine results next.
However, you can also refine your search further.
On the home page, right below the Find Jobs button, there is a link saying Advanced Job Search. Click on this to open up the page for advanced search settings.
This tool will allow you to refine your search by:
- A list of words
- The exact phrase
- Excluded words
- Types of jobs – part-time or full-time and so on
- Jobs from other sources – excluding staffing agencies
- Salary estimates
- Date job was published
- Location-based on certain parameters
You can set any filters you like and when you are done, you can click the Find Jobs button in the lower right corner.
You’ll receive results based on your specifications. Below you can find more tips for using the search functions.
Examine the results
When you click the Find Jobs button, you’ll be taken to a site outlining all the Indeed job postings that match your criteria. The list will show the following things:
- The job title
- The company name
- The location of the job
- A brief job description
If you want to learn more about any particular role, you can click the bold job title. This will open a more detailed job description of the job in a separate window. So, you can click open all the roles you’re interested in.
On the new page, you can view a more detailed job description and the required qualifications for the role. There’s also the option to apply for the given role.
Apply for your chosen jobs
When it comes to applying on the Indeed platform, you can two options. Each job listing will explain in detail how the process works, but here are some tips for understanding the process.
If your chosen job posting includes a red text that says “Easily Apply”, it means you are able to apply directly through Indeed.com. This text should be right beneath the job title and other information.
This text means that when you click the Apply Now button at the bottom of the job posting, you can immediately send your application to the role.
When you click the button, you will receive a popup page that allows you to upload your resume and cover letter. If you are signed with Indeed and logged in, your contact information and resume will already be included in the application. Just follow the instructions and your application will be sent in a matter of minutes.
If you can’t see the red text “Easily Apply” at the end of the posting, you will find an application button that’ll take you away from the Indeed page and to the site where you can apply.
This often means the company’s own website. You will find an application system there that’ll help you upload your resume.
Top tips for using the search
Here are three simple tips for making the most out of your Indeed job search. You should:
- Narrow down your search as much as possible. The Advanced Job Search function is worth it and you want to define your ideal job as much as possible. This ensures you only get relevant job postings in terms of your qualifications and that you don’t waste time browsing through hundreds of job opportunities.
- Enclose phrases with quotation marks. Indeed uses keyword search, which means that if you search for “marketing manager”, you’ll get results that contain at least one of those words. To avoid this, you should use quotation marks around your search words to ensure you only receive results on the actual phrase. In this case, only job postings with the words “marketing manager” mentioned together.
- Remove things you hate to do from search. If you dislike a specific task or you aren’t qualified to perform something specific, you definitely want to limit these types of roles from showing. On the Advanced Job Search page, you can do this listing your chosen words in the section “with none of these words”. For example, if you are looking for entry-level jobs, you might want to exclude the words “previous experience”.
Sign up for job notifications
It’s also a good idea to use the notification functionality on the platform.
This ensures you never miss a job posting that matches your search criteria.
The system will alert you to these jobs and therefore, helps you apply to them as soon as possible without you having to search for roles each time.
Once you’ve registered with the service, you should log in and head down to the My Subscriptions page. You can find it on the top right corner of the page when you are signed in. Click it and allow the platform to send you a daily email notification with recommendations based on your job search criteria.
You can also set job alerts by conducting a job search normally. When you’ve searched for jobs, you will notice a button on the right side of the page saying “Get new jobs for this search by email”.
This will ask for your email address (if not signed in) and after you’ve clicked on the activation email, you will start receiving alerts within 24 hours.
The My Subscription page will allow you to manage each job alert and it is possible to temporarily pause them. You can also edit or delete your alerts altogether.
CHECKING SALARY INFORMATION
You can also use the indeed platform to clever company research. The platform is a great place to find salary information for specific companies and industries.
This can be useful when applying for jobs, preparing for salary negotiations or thinking about your career progression.
You can search for salary information based on:
- The company
- The specific role
In order to search salary information on the platform you need to:
- Go to the Indeed.com homepage.
- On the top centre, you’ll find a link that says Find Salaries. Click on it.
- Write the job title or the employer’s name into the search field and click Search.
- You’ll go to a page that displays information regarding your search function.
For example, if you searched for ‘registered nurse’, you will see the average salary for a registered nurse in your country. You can see a drop-down selection that allows you to change the location.
It will also give a view of reported salary dispersion and showcase the most popular employers for that specific role, including what’s the average pay in that organization.
If you searched for an employer, such as Apple, you will be able to view average reported salaries for the different roles in the organization.
There are Location and Job Title drop-down categories for narrowing the salary information.
This employer page will also include a short About page about the company, as well as Employee Reviews. You can also find available Job Opportunities with the employer, ask questions in the Q&A section and see user-generated Photos.
POSTING YOUR RESUME ON INDEED.COM
If you’ve been job-hunting for a while or done it previously, you know it can take quite a bit of time.
A clever way to save time is by having your resume readily available on the Indeed platform – in fact, displaying it as part of your profile could even help employers to find you.
You have to options in terms of having a resume. You can either:
- Upload your resume directly to the platform, or
- Use the resume creator on the site to write one.
The resume you upload can also be private or public.
No matter which option you choose, you will be able to conduct the following functions:
- You can view your resume and edit it at any time.
- You can download the resume as PDF, RTF, TXT, HTML and Word.
- You can share your resume with employers.
- You can use it to apply for jobs.
How to upload your resume
If you want to upload your existing resume on the platform, you need to do follow these simple steps:
- Sign in and you’ll see a link called CV in the top right corner once you’ve logged on.
- Select the Upload CV by clicking it.
- Find your CV from your files and upload it on to the system.
- Edit your resume if needed.
- Click on the View Resume button and you’ll see the final version of the resume.
- Click the Save button and your resume will be uploaded into the system.
How to create a resume on the platform
You can also create your resume from scratch. Again, when you’ve signed in you can click the CV link on the top right corner of the page and follow the steps below:
- Select the Create CV by clicking it.
- You will be asked to fill in information in the following three sections:
- Profile – including contact information and other personal details.
- Work – including previous employers and description of duties.
- Education – including degree details.
- You will then be able to include other sections, with Indeed suggesting sections such as Skills, Awards and Honors.
- Keep editing the different sections as you wish.
- Click View Resume to view the final version of the resume.
- When you are satisfied with your resume, click Save and the resume will be uploaded into the system.
Deleting your resume from Indeed
If you find your ideal job and you want to remove your resume from the Indeed system altogether, you can do so. Log into your account and view your CV under the CV link on the top right corner.
On the right-hand sidebar, you can see a link “Remove your CV”. Click on it and your resume will be permanently removed from the system – remember to have a copy if it’s your only copy!
Before you remove your CV, remember you can always edit it or upload another one to your account.
USING INDEED DURING YOUR JOB HUNT
Indeed.com is a great tool for job hunting. The platform has many jobs, its search functionality is straightforward and you can make the process easier by uploading your resume into the system.
The platform isn’t just handy for finding and applying for jobs; you can also use it during your job search to learn more about companies.
It will also be a valuable help when entering salary negotiations – either when you are applying for a new job or conducting promotion negotiations.
Indeed’s popularity means you will find plenty of job postings on the site. Of course, this can mean that you’ll be competing with many other applicants – you had better make sure your resume and cover letter stand out!
“If уоu рiсk the right реорlе аnd give thеm the opportunity tо ѕрrеаd their wingѕ аnd put …
If you are looking to hire a top quality employee or you want to progress in your career, you might …