Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
To run the business effectively, there are various operations that require to be undertaken on a regular basis. This means that the organization requires to have the infrastructure for these operations to be effective. This includes acquisition of equipment and hiring of relevant staff to undertake these responsibilities. However, it is not in all circumstances that the organization has the capacity to engage in these activities. In such instances, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) comes in handy. This refers to awarding of these services to a third party on a contractual basis. This may include areas of human resources, finance and accounting among other functions within the organization.
Among the key benefits that accrue from Business Process Outsourcing are:
- Cost effectiveness – When the operations are outsourced, the organization does not require to source for equipment or labor to deliver these services. In such way, the cost of operations is reduced significantly.
- Flexibility – Every organization yearns to maximize productivity in regard to its core business. Owing to the changing trends in performance of various services the company does not require to keep looking for updates that would otherwise add on its in-house operations giving room for growth of its core business.
- Timely delivery – Most of the outsourced services require delivery at a set time and on the regular basis. As such, the contractual agreement indicates this where the contracted party delivers timely and ensures that the services are not affected in ways that would cause delays due to any ongoing operations with nth organization.
- In finance and accounting, there are set requirement in preparation and reporting of results. The contracted parties always ensure that this is done and in such way ensure that the organization can live within the stipulated industry regulations
Business Process outsourcing mainly takes two forms.
- Firstly, there is outsourcing that majors on performance of internal organization operations such as billing, preparation of payrolls, billing, purchasing and supply management among other functions.
- Secondly, there is front office outsourcing where the organization may contract for customer related services as well as provision of technical support to its line of clients.
Contracting for business process outsourcing is an undertaking that requires caution. This owes to the fact that the contracted party requires access to vital information on the organization pertaining to the duties and responsibilities prescribed. In such away, there is the need for the company to ensure that a degree of confidentiality is maintained to ensure that private and sensitive information is not leaked out to unwarranted hands. This may include among other factors ensuring that adequate security measure are put in place in regard to information that require to be submitted to the contracted company.
Business process outsourcing has been adopted by many businesses to ease their operations. This is irrespective of the size of the organization where service providers offer tailored packages to suit the needs of individual clients. This is available in various categories that include offshore outsourcing that occurs when services are sourced from countries outside the continent, near shore outsourcing refers to services sourced from neighboring countries.