A conference may be defined as a formal meeting of several people who come together to talk on a specific topic. The individuals who come together for this meeting would share innovative ideas and new information. The majority of conferences have at least one keynote speaker. The speakers selected for the meeting are well-known or experts in the associated field. This would make more people want to attend the conference.
Conferences can be held with different objectives:
- Business Conference – It is arranged to discuss business-associated matters. Typically, people working for the same industry or company come together to talk about new opportunities and trends relating to business.
- Trade Conference – It happens on a wider scale than a business conference. There is a wider participation, meaning, in addition to businessmen, the general public also has an opportunity to benefit from it. Members of the public can forge new connections and network with vendors. Both groups of people can gain more knowledge about topics of interest by way of whitepaper presentations or workshops.
Certain companies already have adequately large conference rooms. However, most of the time, an external venue is required. One of the benefits of using a hotel’s conference room is that the accommodation may be provided at a discounted rate. Negotiations may be carried out with different vendors to find the option that offers a reasonable price for suitably catering to the specifications of the conference. When choosing a venue, factors such as the following are taken into consideration:
- Is there heating or air-conditioning in the building (depending on the season and climate)?
- Is there enough technical infrastructure and wi-fi connectivity to support all the attendees? This includes projectors, microphones, phones and speakers.
- Are catering facilities available (and a private dining room, if required)?
Proper planning helps ensure smooth progress of the conference.