Human Resource Functions
Human resource functions refer to the tasks that a company’s HR team is supposed to deal with and accomplish. Since Human resource department is concerned with the company’s employees, most of its function revolves around workers, with a few tasks added on in the modern management strategy. The most basic function is to get the working force in tune with the company’s goals. This means managing the employees so that the company accomplishes and even exceeds its targets. Small businesses tend to outsource HR functions so as to achieve the same level of efficiency enjoyed by the bigger counterparts.
The HR department has various disciplines and therefore the functions are very wide. Some of the primary ones include:
- Recruitment – you cannot manage non-existent employees and therefore the very first function is to bring on required labor to an organization. This is not as easy as picking out the next job seeker as the right talent is required. This means that the HR department has to post adverts, screen candidates and shortlist them, organize for preliminary interviews and coordinate with department heads requiring the labor for final selection.
- Training and development – extensive training and orientation are extended to new employees so as to ensure they are efficient at performing their tasks. Many organizations also choose employees for leadership training so as to fill managerial roles. Training is not just limited to skills as the company is also supposed to train new recruits on the company culture. Professional development is another area of training that the HR should oversee.
- Safety – employers are mandated to provide a safe and risk-free working environment for their workers. This role falls into the lap of the HR department who are also tasked with providing safety equipment.
- Compensation and benefits – the right benefits programs can be a great lure for top talent. The HR department is supposed to ensure that the employees get the right benefits and basic benefits such as medical cover are mandatory. Compensation specialists usually work with those entrusted with employee safety in case of accidents.
- Employee relations – the HR is supposed to ensure that employer-employee relationship is not strained and this is achieved through employee engagement and efficient conflict resolution skills. Offering job satisfaction to the employee is also a step in the right direction.
- Compliance – compliance with both company and governmental laws is a critical function of the HR department. Non-compliance can lead to costly lawsuits and general employee dissatisfaction.