Software as a service (SAAS)
Software as a service (SAAS) is a type of delivery service whereby businesses access and use software over a web based network. Software as a service works in such a way as to provide business processes in the cloud. Imagine a business needs to incorporate accounting software, they could go out and purchase one that would be installed by a software expert and use it or they could buy one that is provided in the web such that all they need to do is to log in and start working. The one available over the internet is described as software as a service.
There are many advantages that SAAS has over the conventional software application:
- First advantage is that SAAS costs less compared to using licensed applications. Cost is an important factor to business and the cost advantage that SAAS has over licensed applications has contributed to its popularity in business. SAAS is also conveniently priced; you could pay for a monthly or annual subscription.
- Second advantage is that it provides the businesses the chance to access their information remotely. Regardless of location, SAAS makes it possible to conveniently access your information at the touch of a button.
- Third advantage is that there is no need for businesses to invest in expensive hardware as they can easily access the business applications they need online using SAAS. As well with SAAS, there is no need to invest in maintenance as this is automatically done by the software provider online. SAAS is compatible with many computers compared to some licensed applications and it is accessible globally.
Because of its many advantages, SAAS is increasingly becoming globally accepted and the norm in business. However, like everything under the sun, it has its shortcomings.
- Privacy is one of the key issues that arise in using SAAS. The information that is available in the SAAS networks is sensitive and for this reason, they need to be protected and stored safely. There are many measures in place to protect the right of privacy of individuals and companies; however, some unscrupulous people are still relentless in trying to misuse this information for their own benefit.
- Another key issue in SAAS is security, because of the sensitive nature of the information in these networks, they are subject to being stolen or used maliciously by unethical entities. As much as there are measures in place, nothing can ever be too safe.