48 Questions That’ll Make Awkward Small Talk So Much Easier
Small talks can become boring in a matter of minutes. Partaking in such conversations is a terrible experience.
Chatting with people you don’t want to talk to or discussing cliché topics like weather again and again can be really intimidating.
If you are not prepared, most of these meetings end up in dreading silence where you have nothing to talk about except weather.
Whether you are talking to an old forgotten friend at a get together, chatting with a colleague at an office party or having a conversation with a complete stranger in a train, you can become victim of a small talk every now and then.
How do you avoid these talks or make them easier to get through?
One option is to simply leave any such conversation at the first instance.
However, if you are bound by unforeseen forces and cannot leave your seat, you have to find other solutions to this annoying problem.
One such solution is to ask thought provoking, fun and unexpected questions which others can’t answer in simple yes or no.
Asking such questions will make the environment lighter and the conversation more interesting. You will get to know other people. You cannot achieve this goal through “normal” conversation. Most importantly, you will no longer have to talk about weather.
You can check out following list of awesome questions you can ask to make small talks easier to go through. The questions are further divided into different topics which most people can easily get behind.
If you are struggling to avoid small talks, perhaps you can take some help from this video as well.
HOW TO AVOID BORING CONVERSATIONS
There are many characteristics of a boring conversation.
For instance, you might fall asleep when someone is talking about outer space. You are looking at something else instead of paying heed to what is being said all around you.
Or, you are just thinking about spending rest of your life in a jungle rather than where you currently are.
However, all is not lost. You can do many things to avoid boring conversations and some of them are as following.
Ask Real Questions
Prepare yourself before attending in any meeting or party. Find some deep and really thought provoking conversation starters.
Ask questions which can spark interest in others as well. Research some really cool but unique ideas about the world. Find topics which are inherently related to humans, the topics about which people have their own opinions.
Look for Exciting Stories
Questions like “what’s up” or “how were your vacations” can help you break the ice.
However, questions like “what was the most interesting part of your vacations” can really spice things up and help you start a real conversation. This way, you will trick your partner and entice him to tell a real story.
Use Your Body Language
You can also use your body language to express your boredom. Looking at your watch, checking your messages and pretending that someone else has caught your attention are all indications that you are bored to death.
Ask Questions which Induce Interest
One of the best methods to start an interesting conversation is to find topics which other people are most excited about.
Ask a series of questions which show your enthusiasm to learn more about the topic under discussion. Open conversation with usual simple questions but follow them up with more probing and serious ones.
Add some Value to Conversation
Another way to make any conversation or small talk more exciting is to add as much value to it as possible.
Share every piece of information or knowledge you have about the topic. You can also talk about a topic you are an authority on. Keep people engaged by radiating valuable information and satisfactorily answering their questions.
Always be Honest
Honesty is always the best policy. Sometimes you have to shun politeness and be honest about your feelings. The results will be awesome if you simply tell other person that you hate small talks.
Being honest makes you more authentic and charming and will force other speaker to talk about more interesting topic.
Never Ever Discuss Weather
On the lighter note, never ever discuss weather. It is always cold in December and hot in July. It is not a big deal at all. Talking about the weather is the shallowest form of conversation you can ever have and you need to avoid it at any cost.
Before any further ado, these are the questions which will make your conversation easy, enjoyable and interesting.
Nothing fascinates people more than talking about their lives and how they work. Why? We as a human being are nothing without our connections and relations.
Moreover, you must know how to handle people if you want to learn what you actually need in life. You need to learn how to have a beautiful conversation with everyone as explained by Malavika Varadan in this amazing video.
- What was the worst thing you did when you were a child?
- Which cities have you lived in? What do you like and hate about them?
- Do you have any surprising hobbies or hidden talents you want to talk about?
- If given an opportunity, which person you want to become right now and why?
- What was the funniest incident ever in your life? Can you share it with us in detail?
- What is something you are obsessed with?
- On a scale of 1-10, how strict or lenient are your parents?
WORK AND OFFICE
Some people argue that discussions about work and school can ruin any conversation.
On the other hand, work and school top the list when you actually listen what people actually talk about. People spend a lot of time at school and office. Most often, people are really passionate about what they do.
- What would you possibly be doing if you were not working here?
- What is the best bit of advice you have ever received from your seniors or mentors?
- What do you think is the most important skill every person should have to succeed?
- How would you describe your boss? What are his strengths and weaknesses?
- What is one thing you will leave your current job for?
- What was your first job? Did you like it or hate it?
- What do you think is the strangest talent that you have?
Well nothing beats entertainment when it comes to popular topics of conversations or small talks. People are passionate about movies, TV shows and sports teams.
Sometimes they even fall in love with fictional characters or their favorite players. These topics never get boring or irritating.
- What sports do you like to watch? What is your favorite team?
- Who is better? Ronaldo or Messi.
- What is your favorite movie soundtrack and why?
- What is your favorite movie and why?
- Which songs always bring tear to your eyes? Or what are the songs you always enjoy to listen?
- Have you ever read any book in your life? What is your favorite book? What was the last book you read?
- What is the funniest TV show you have ever watched?
Well, you can always talk about iPhones or Android and stuff like that.
- Do you long to go back to your old life before Facebook, Twitter and Instagram?
- What to do you prefer? Apple or Samsung?
- Would you ever wear latest gadgets such as Apple Watch or Google Glasses?
- What do you think the latest technological advancements will lead us? Are they doing more harm than good?
- If you do get a chance to learn one programming language, what would it be? Better ask this question to a boy or man. It is one of the worst stereotypes. But – have you ever found a girl who enjoys talking about programming and other compute stuff. However, I am pretty sure such girls do exist.
TRAVEL AND TOURISM
Many of people’s greatest memories and experiences are related to travel.
People love talking about these experiences, strange cultures and places they have explored. Even those people who haven’t traveled much can be mesmerized by listening to stories about travel.
- How many countries have you traveled so far? You could talk about a country for hours if both of you happened to have visited it.
- If you ever decide to relocate to another country, which country would it be?
- Do you like air travel, road travel or sea travel? Or, what is your favorite mode of transportation and why?
- How do you compare your own country with the ones you have visited? Or, what are the most striking cultural differences?
- Have you ever faced any trouble in a foreign country? Can you share your experience with rest of us?
- Which, in your opinion, is the most relaxing place in xyz country or world?
- Which is the most beautiful country you have ever visited?
- Do you like to confine yourself to famous cities or go off the beaten path when traveling abroad?
FOOD AND COOKING
Food and cooking is perhaps the lightest and funniest topic you can think about. People enjoy talking about their favorite dishes or the foods they hate.
If you are talking to someone for the first time, figure out what kind of food he loves instead of asking him to explain meaning of life.
- What food do you love or absolutely hate? What are the reasons you like or hate a particular dish?
- Do you have food fights? When was the last time you had one?
- Which food looks delicious but is actually pretty disgusting?
- What do you like to have in a restaurant? Can delicious food compensate for poor hygiene or lack of atmosphere?
- If you are told that you can only eat one food for rest of your life, what will you choose? Or, what is the one food you will not even taste in your life no matter what?
- Ask whether he or she only eats food from a specific culture? If yes, ask them to give you reasons?
- What is your favorite restaurant? What do you most like about that particular restaurant?
Finally, you can ask tones of random questions to start an exciting conversation.
Ask questions that are unexpected but not intimidating for your partner. You can choose questions from any topic in the world as long as they are light and fun.
- Everyone wastes time? How do you prefer to waste time?
- What annoys you the most? Or, name one popular thing or person whom you find really annoying?
- Have you ever worked incredibly hard in your life? When was the last time you were so committed?
- What do you think of demons, genies, spirits and things like that?
- What is more important to you? Good job, a big house or a beautiful caring wife?
- Will you ever beat a person if you have to?
- What is one thing about the world you would like to change overnight?
Wow, these are a lot of questions you can ask to make little conversations much more fun and exciting.
Hopefully, you have found some which you think you can use in your next conversation. The bottom line is that you can make literally any small talk interesting. The topic itself does not have to be interesting. You just have to share your unique perspective, opinion and personality.
Much of the success of any endeavor – be it personal or professional – is attributed to …